ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Sears DIY Book and Old NEC Code Books - 04/07/07 09:47 PM
The Sears DIY book is from 1969 and cost 50 cents originally.

I don't know what the original price of the 1931 NEC was but, I paid $16 for it at the used book store. (Alan Nadon)

[Linked Image]
These three Codes are all older than I am.

The one with the black cover was a hand out co-sponsored by Cutler Hammer, Square D, Trumbell and Westinghouse. In 1937 even electricians were hard pressed to be able to buy a Code book. They included insert pages of diagrams and references to their products to justify the expense.

Alan Nadon

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Sears DIY Book and Old NEC Code Books - 04/07/07 11:40 PM
Thanks for that Alan.
That graphic in the cover of that DIY book looks a tad dodgy, should that weather-head and set of insulators be that low?.
Posted By: iwire Re: Sears DIY Book and Old NEC Code Books - 04/08/07 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by Trumpy
That graphic in the cover of that DIY book looks a tad dodgy, should that weather-head and set of insulators be that low?.

It's not that they are low, the DIY is a giant. laugh
Posted By: pauluk Re: Sears DIY Book and Old NEC Code Books - 04/08/07 10:16 AM
I think a little "artistic license" must have been employed there!

I assume that 1937 code book's original binding must have disintegrated at some point, hence the red comb-binding.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Sears DIY Book and Old NEC Code Books - 04/08/07 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by iwire
Originally Posted by Trumpy

It's not that they are low, the DIY is a giant. laugh

Ahh yes Bob, but aren't they all?, even these days.
No Lectrician in sight, he's saving money, he has to feel big!. grin
Posted By: Alan Nadon Re: Sears DIY Book and Old NEC Code Books - 04/08/07 02:06 PM
Paul,
The red binding is original. They did it that way so they could add their pages.
Alan--
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Sears DIY Book and Old NEC Code Books - 04/08/07 05:01 PM
"Modernizing"

LOL
Posted By: wa2ise Re: Sears DIY Book and Old NEC Code Books - 04/09/07 02:01 AM
Originally Posted by pauluk
I think a little "artistic license" must have been employed there!

They should revoke that license. Problem is is that some DIYers will take it literally, that it would be okay to uild it that way.

I've had to argue with marketing and sales types about advertising copy and such on products I had designed. "But it's just some artwork.", "The customers will takke it literally, I would know, I'm like the customers and I'd do that...".
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Sears DIY Book and Old NEC Code Books - 04/09/07 02:46 AM
Sears DIY boy is probably standing on the porch.

So is there a chapter somewhere on how to jump the meter? *grins, ducks and runs like the wind*
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Sears DIY Book and Old NEC Code Books - 04/09/07 04:03 PM
I remember when Sears sold entire service "packages" that included SE cable, clamps, panel, breakers, everything. They went away before I was old enough to buy any them, but I do remember them in their catalog in the 1960's and 1970's.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Sears DIY Book and Old NEC Code Books - 04/09/07 04:36 PM
And fairly recently, Sears stopped carrying ANY wiring devices at all. You were still able to buy switches, sockets, cable and minor stuff like that until a couple years ago.
© ECN Electrical Forums