ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy 14th Edition UK Regs - 03/08/07 12:56 AM
Images and info submitted by Kenbo.

Going through some old stuff in my workshop when I found an old copy of the UK regs "14th Edition" this copy was published in "1976 and repinted in metric units"

Thats 30 years ago. I was still at school

Couple of things made me smile the compleation certificate is tiny compared to todays and all it says is "yes I looked at it and it seams ok to conect to the supply"
Section J "Caravan site and caravan site installations" regulation J.24 "Any caravan disconected for a period in excess of three months shall be re-tested in acordance with section E before conection to the supply" (and section E is the compleation / inspection cert)

What I did like about it was the printed notes in the margin of the page.

Question though it mentions in table A.2 15 ampere socket-outlet, 13 ampere socket-outlet, 5 ampere socket-outlet, and 2 ampere socket-outlet was it common practice to have different rated socket in a house and what did they usualy run. ( I only started to serve my time in 1980)

Kenny

And now, the images:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

{Message edited to repair image tags.}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 03-07-2007).]
Posted By: TrimixLeccy Re: 14th Edition UK Regs - 03/08/07 09:34 PM
If I remeber correctly,
All bar 13A were on radial ccts.
2A and 5A were for lights, irons, toasters, hairdryers. 15A was for fires / heaters and washing machines.

But, as it was over 30 years ago, my memory may be a little jaded!
Still got a few copies floating about somewhere, along with a copy of the regs from about 1927 incorporated into my Grandfathers diary/pocket book. I will send Pauluk a pic [to post on this page] of the 'test board' from our old workshop. This has all of the sockets on it
Posted By: pauluk Re: 14th Edition UK Regs - 03/09/07 02:14 PM
I will send Pauluk a pic [to post on this page] of the 'test board' from our old workshop.

And here it is: [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: 14th Edition UK Regs - 03/09/07 04:33 PM
I have the 1970 amendment of the 14th edition, which is the first reprint in metric (similar orange cover). All the affected tables were just renumbered with an "M" suffix to show they had been changed, e.g. Table 3 for cable ratings became Table 3M.

It's interesting that the 1976 printing doesn't show a price on the cover. Maybe the high inflation of the 1970s disuaded them from including it by then! The 1970 edition says that copies may be obtained from the institution for 25/- including postage (£1.25 in decimal money).

Here's the original 14th edition from 1966:

[Linked Image]

17/6 would be 87.5 pence in new money. So just slightly cheaper than today! [Linked Image]

On the certificates, the 1970 edition is similar to Kenny's later 1976 issue, but these are not the original 14th edition versions. Here is the original 1966 completion certificate:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And for comparison, here is the original 14th edition inspection certificate:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 03-09-2007).]
Posted By: pauluk Re: 14th Edition UK Regs - 03/09/07 04:44 PM
On the BS546 sockets, the 2A types were genrally used as lighting outlets, and were sometimes controlled by a wall switch.

15A types were fitted where a full 3kW load might be needed, and in the typical house there would have been only one per room, generally next to the fireplace for an electric heater. Cooker control units could also have a 15A outlet, and in many kitchens that might have been the only socket!

The 5A types were then pretty much general-purpose for all smaller appliances, and maybe multiple 5A outlets in a room.

Here's Table A.2 which Kenny referred to:

[Linked Image]

As you can see from the associated rule A.25, for compliance with the Regs. there should have been no more than three 5A sockets on a 15A circuit, but in practice I think that was widely ignored. I certainly remember seeing old places in which there were dozens of 5A sockets on a 15A branch cct. Given the diversity of use and the fact that most were for convenience and for light loads (radios, electric blankets, etc.). I doubt that was much of a problem unless taken to extremes.
Posted By: TrimixLeccy Re: 14th Edition UK Regs - 03/11/07 10:23 PM
This old test board [above pics] has most of the socket outlet variants available at on time or another in the UK
It includes 2A 3pin, 5A 3pin 15A 3pin, 5A 2pin. Top rhs is a batten [surface fitting] holder fitted with a bayonet to 5A 2pin converter, this was so the housewife could plug her iron into the light fitting.The more observant will notice that the lhs B/H is a newer Ashley T2 type, reason?...this board was in use up until 3 years ago when we moved locations!!!... won't pass any tests but I don't want to throw it away. Nostalgia and all that.... [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: 14th Edition UK Regs - 03/12/07 10:54 AM
Is that left-hand lamp holder ("series lamp") wired to the adjacent 2-pin 5A outlet?

Looks like a 1950s-style Wylex D.P. switch bottom right as well, typically used for immersion heaters etc. at the time.
Posted By: TrimixLeccy Re: 14th Edition UK Regs - 03/12/07 06:36 PM
Correct, it was wired so that the two leads from the 2 pin plug were in effect performing as a 'switch'. Used it to test for continuity. I once threw the leads on the bench [never bothered with the isolator] and they touched some wire -wool which ignited and made a mess of the plastic botttle of white spirit! eek

Yes the switch is an old dp Wylex

The board was lethal if you did not know what you were doing; and just dangerous if you did know what you were doing!!!! All fed via a 13A fuse in a plug; RCD?...never existed when this was made. It got repaired over the years, which explains why some of the accessories are newer.

Just been clearing out my workshop at home to make space for a new to me [free] lathe and come across;

a switched MK 13A plug

a 'sleeved' MK 13A plug, where the sleeves retract over the outside of the pins

a 'fitall' plug, which when adjusted correctly will fit every socket that UK used touse [except Wylex type]
I will post some pics when I have time
Posted By: pauluk Re: 14th Edition UK Regs - 03/13/07 10:58 AM
a switched MK 13A plug
The one which just has the extra "switch layer" between the plug base and the top, and with the switch toggle moving sideways across the top of the plug?

MK also did one which had a neon warning light on the top as well.

a 'fitall' plug, which when adjusted correctly will fit every socket that UK used touse [except Wylex type]
Like this one?

https://www.electrical-contractor.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/9/338.html
Posted By: TrimixLeccy Re: 14th Edition UK Regs - 03/13/07 08:04 PM
Yep, correct on both counts!! Well it has saved me getting the camera out! I am obviously going to have to dig a little deeper to find something original shocked
© ECN Electrical Forums