ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Unusual Outlet - 04/15/06 02:31 PM
posted for Brian Winkle
I found this in a house in Tucson that was over a hundred years old and has undergone countless wiring additions over the years. The home once belonged to a prominent doctor who was part of one of our city's founding families.
[Linked Image]
oh and I couldn't resist the sunset just to rub it in to all you easterners.

- Brian Winkle
[Linked Image]
Posted By: JoeTestingEngr Re: Unusual Outlet - 04/15/06 03:49 PM
Beautiful sunset! Those scorpions and rattlers just becoming active are pretty impressive too.
Joe
Posted By: Celtic Re: Unusual Outlet - 04/15/06 05:08 PM
HA!

Here's a sunset in NJ...yes a SUNSET:

[Linked Image from panachephotos.com]

This was taken in Cape May, NJ....one of the few places on the East Coast where you can see the sun set over the Atlantic.
Posted By: BigB Re: Unusual Outlet - 04/15/06 05:29 PM
Pretty nice celtic... anyway what is the receptacle? Is it just an early 120V 20 amp 2 wire? It was wired with BX and still supplying 120V. I was thinking it was for an early window air conditioner. It was located in a room that used to be a porch and was closed in without a cooling duct.
Posted By: Rewired Re: Unusual Outlet - 04/15/06 10:21 PM
I have seen a receptacle like that before, as a matter of fact, I THINK There is something like that sitting on a shelf at the supplier that I used to work at, new in the box! If i am not mistaken there may even be a matching cap!!
I will have to write myself a note to see if so and I will get a pic of it ( If I remember LOL..
O ya BTW... Very nice Sunsets!1 Picture Postcard PERFECT!

A.D
Posted By: xGROMx Re: Unusual Outlet - 04/16/06 02:06 PM
I've gota post an Eastern sunset...haha One that i took last year.

[Linked Image from box.mindbreaking.com]
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Unusual Outlet - 04/17/06 07:56 AM
Red sky in the morning,
Shepherd's warning.
Red sky at night,
Shepherd's cottage is on fire.

Morcambe + Wise, 1975

Alan
Posted By: RODALCO Re: Unusual Outlet - 04/17/06 08:09 AM
Beautifull sunsets out there.

Great that these displays of natures beauty are free to all of us to enjoy.

Regards Raymond
Posted By: dougwells Re: Unusual Outlet - 04/17/06 10:24 PM
I was taught that it was

red sky in the morning
sailors take warning
red sky at night
sailer's delight
Posted By: Celtic Re: Unusual Outlet - 04/18/06 02:02 AM
Any day I watch the sun set is a good day...red, blue, purple...it's still a good day.
I missed the sunset today because I had to change a sill plate on my house - that's a bad day [Linked Image]
Posted By: Hemingray Re: Unusual Outlet - 04/18/06 10:28 PM
Back on topic, what was that outlet used for?
Posted By: Celtic Re: Unusual Outlet - 04/19/06 01:50 AM
Back on topic, what was that outlet used for?

To plug a fan into while watching the sunset !
Posted By: WESTUPLACE Re: Unusual Outlet - 04/19/06 03:34 AM
That style of outlet was ofen used as a DC battery charger inlet on the back of older fire trucks. There was a cord connected to a battery charger with a cord cap at the station,with the receptacle mounted on the tailboard of the pumper. When the truck left the station, the cord would pull out if the driver forgot to disconnect it. I restore old fire apparatus for a hobby and many have this receptacle. I bet this was also used for DC in bldgs. Robert
Posted By: napervillesoundtech Re: Unusual Outlet - 04/19/06 04:09 AM
I saw this in a doctors house once. The outlet was in a small room on the 2nd floor of the house, and had seperate wires going to a small room under the basement stairs. I assume that this would have, at one point, housed batteries or rectifiers, which were then wired to a radio set upstairs.

The same room also had one of those non-nema type radio combo outlets. The ones where the bottom half is for AC and the top half is aerial & ground. I think that was a later installation, though.
Posted By: BigB Re: Unusual Outlet - 04/21/06 03:37 AM
Interesting uses on the DC. This one was definatley 120V AC though. It was still wired to the panel with BX, still tested 120 just before I took it out.
Incidentally since my first post I have found under the house: a soda bottle from the 1920's, parts of a newspaper from 1928, a label from a box of nails stating the manufacture date in 1902, a very old roll of friction tape, a metal lid from an old Mentholatum tin and two cat skeletons.

The Mentholatum lid was right by the friction tape, I wondered if the electrician that was there many years before me used the tin for screws or something, just like many of us do today with small tins and prescription containers.
Posted By: yaktx Re: Unusual Outlet - 10/18/06 03:46 AM
This sort of receptacle is referred to in old catalogs as a "two-wire polarity" receptacle. Apparently, at one time, the polarization of NEMA 1-15 receptacles was not considered good enough.

I have a 1930 book which strongly recommends grounding washing machines and lists three ways to do it:

1. Separate ground wire, clamped to cold water pipe.
2. A receptacle like this one, with the motor frame grounded to whichever pole is identified as neutral.
3. A "crowfoot" receptacle (probably the 20A version now known as 10-20R).

Decades ago, it seems to have been more common for receptacle configurations to be used in a multitude of different ways. We have heard that urban areas with DC service (sometimes persisting into the '50s) used 1-15 or T-slot receptacles just like their AC neighbors. And I recently saw (on eBay) a 1940's NOS 1/4 Hp 32VDC motor with a cord and 15A parallel-blade cap on it!

The 125V 15A / 250V 10A listing puzzles most electricians today, but the confusion didn't end there.

[This message has been edited by yaktx (edited 10-17-2006).]
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Unusual Outlet - 10/18/06 10:33 AM
Yup... back then Systems weren't as foolproof as they are today.
According to an old radio technician (the only person I ever talked to who has said to have known Vienna's DC system) in the 1950s Vienna used the very same non-polarized plugs for 110V AC, 220V AC and 220V DC.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Unusual Outlet - 10/21/06 10:20 AM
Ditto in Britain. Our old BS546 (round-pin) plugs were used on both AC and DC systems well into the 1950s.

In DC areas (mostly the older downtown areas of larger towns) and Edison-style 3-wire distribution network was used at anything from 200/400 to 250/500V, with roughly half the houses taking power from one "outer" and half from the other.

Even though the 3-pin (grounding) BS546 plugs were non-reversible, there was no way to ensure correct DC polarity, as the "hot" pin could be either positive or negative of the neutral depending upon which house you were in.
© ECN Electrical Forums