ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Bull-Dog Equipment - 12/22/05 04:24 AM
We will be re-habing this next month. Appears to be in fair condition. Anything specific we need to look for? (i.e. replacing push-o-matic breakers, re-tourquing etc.)

- LearJet9
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: Bull-Dog Equipment - 12/22/05 01:51 PM
On a quick look, the grounded conductors and the Equipment grounding conductors are on the same bus...is this the service disconnect, or downstream of it?
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: Bull-Dog Equipment - 12/23/05 04:46 AM
This could be service equipment if you can deenergize the entire service with six throws of a 2 x 12.
Posted By: LearJet9 Re: Bull-Dog Equipment - 12/27/05 01:15 PM
Immediatly to the left of what you can see in the main disconnect, 800A I beleive. We will be replacing about 100 push-o-matic devices and checking all connections for tightness. We will of course address any other issues we find while in there. The guys working on this job have never seen bull-dog equip before.
Posted By: Ron Re: Bull-Dog Equipment - 12/27/05 01:47 PM
How many pole positions are in the common backbox, >42?
Will you replace the guts with a new panelboard with individual backboxes. I was in a jurisdiction that would allow the reuse of a old backbox for new panelboard guts (not UL listed together).
Posted By: LearJet9 Re: Bull-Dog Equipment - 12/27/05 07:33 PM
Each seperate section has 40 positions in 2 banks. Each section is controlled by 2 contactors, 1 for each bank of 20 devices. As far as I know at this time, we will only be replacing individual devices, and then only about 80 out of 120. (?) We will be checking all terminations to make sure they are secure. Panel schedules are all incorrect but they declined to have us do a new panel schedule.
Posted By: NORCAL Re: Bull-Dog Equipment - 12/28/05 04:39 AM
In pic #3, are you going to replace the GE and FPE breakers?

P.S. The subject of mixing different manufactures breakers in the same enclosure would be a good thread all by it self.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Bull-Dog Equipment - 12/28/05 09:32 AM
Just a little question,
How did it get the name Bull-Dog?. [Linked Image]
Posted By: electure Re: Bull-Dog Equipment - 12/28/05 12:19 PM
You need to get rid of that aluminum ladder before someone gets hurt.
Posted By: NORCAL Re: Bull-Dog Equipment - 12/28/05 03:26 PM
Bulldog electric,it was a I-T-E subsiduary, now part of Siemens.

BTW, its "Pushmatic" [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: LearJet9 Re: Bull-Dog Equipment - 12/28/05 10:27 PM
No, we asked that question and advised that some of the main breakers were not "listed" for use in this equip. they declined and repeated they want 'only' the SP pushmatic C/B's replaced, and then "only" if we thought it was necessary.
Electure: That's the electrician being too lazy to bring in the ladder off of his truck!!

[This message has been edited by LearJet9 (edited 12-28-2005).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Bull-Dog Equipment - 12/29/05 06:14 AM
This pic from NORCAL:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mamills Re: Bull-Dog Equipment - 12/29/05 02:22 PM
LJ: I have a question about the breaker in pic. 3 with the blue toggle handle (I'm assuming it's a GE). From the other pics, it looks like it doesn't line up as well with the deadfront opening as the others do. Is there any concern about being able to operate the breaker properly, or accidentally coming into contact with live parts inside?

I'm also wondering about purpose of the contactors. Are sections of these panels switched on/off from a remote location somewhere (i.e. ceiling lights in a large store, etc.)?

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: LearJet9 Re: Bull-Dog Equipment - 12/30/05 09:29 PM
Mike - When the covers are on that C/B, as well as all of the others, operate properly. As you can see they have a mix-n-match set up going here. Many EC's over many years I'm guessing. There is no danger of contacting live parts with the covers on. The system is on an EMS (Energy Management System) that is what operates the contactors which operate the lights.
Posted By: Rewired Re: Bull-Dog Equipment - 01/01/06 11:45 PM
Right on!
I Can't say I have ever seen a "bulldog" panel that big and what looks to be in that good of shape... I still see some of those breakers around in the older schools used right in the classroom as both the light switch and O/C device... Hard to find replacements!!
A.D
© ECN Electrical Forums