ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Old Time Radios - 12/04/03 06:27 PM
[Linked Image]

(Photo Courtesy of Joe Tedesco)
Posted By: wa2ise Re: Old Time Radios - 12/04/03 08:34 PM
I collect and restore radios like these. Usually, the wax paper capacitors must all be replaced, as well as the electroytic filter cap. See my web site
http://www.geocities.com/wa2ise
for more old radios.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Old Time Radios - 12/05/03 03:47 AM
I fixed a co-worker's little 4-tube radio and he gave me one of these to have. The dial-scale on mine has a crack (it's made of flexible plastic).

It was sold to him as a bill of goods and since I had repaired his little fire-engine red Firestone, he and his wife decided to give this one to me...and in expectations that I can also fix it. Which I will...as soon as I get some TIIIME!! [Linked Image]

[Linked Image from radioatticarchives.com]

Bendix 526A

Has Joe caught the old radio bug also? Be careful...they are very addictive.. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 11-01-2006).]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Old Time Radios - 12/05/03 11:25 AM
Great stuff! I think regulars will know that I also like to search out and restore old radios and associated equipment.
Posted By: :andy: Re: Old Time Radios - 12/05/03 03:45 PM
have a look at these pages: http://www.bit-tech.net/article/90/

this guy built a whole PC with a great circular VU-Meter inside an old radio, to use it as mp3 player...
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Old Time Radios - 12/05/03 04:52 PM
Nice pictures, folks!

Is it true that these radios only play "oldies?" [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Old Time Radios - 12/05/03 07:02 PM
Is it true that these radios only play "oldies?"
TG,

That may be .. [Linked Image]

My Father gave me an old car once that only got AM stations on the Radio.

He didn't know the FM didn't work !!

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Old Time Radios - 01/24/04 09:35 AM
I absolutely love old radios like the one above.
I have an old 1930's Dreco set here that I listen to the Cricket coverage on AM on, when I am working in my workshop.
I had to rip all of the paper capacitors out of it and a few busted valves but it hasn't missed a beat in the 10 years I've had it.
74 years on and still going strong, save the bad parts, but I don't think we'll be seeing vintage Mitsubishi gear like this Dreco!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Dawg Re: Old Time Radios - 10/28/06 05:01 PM
Another old radio fan....I've only got one though, a Zenith AM/FM tube type bakelite radio from 1953....you'll have to wait for awhile if you want a pic. [Linked Image]

I did have an old non working 1947 Delco AM radio in an all wood housing. Back in Jan 2003 I learned via the newspaper of an old timer 45 miles from my house that was 90 years old but still operated his radio shop that had been in buisness since 1935. He diagnosed it as having bad tubes and capacitors...he had plenty of tubes but had to search for capacitors...unfortunatley I never did get my radio back as he passed in Sept 2004....I didn't find out about his passing until this past summer. RIP
© ECN Electrical Forums