ECN Forum
Posted By: Yoopersup Explain In laymens Terms - 04/06/07 07:10 PM
Carlories?cm2 otta 70E
Whats a common sense way of explaining that measurement to workers in the field as everything in 70_E relates to Carlories ( Suits ect.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Explain In laymens Terms - 04/06/07 10:51 PM
It's just that "commie metric" thing. A calorie is the amount of heat it takes to raise a gram (or CC) of water one degree centigrade. They are saying a square CM of the suit can handle that amount of heat.
For the real layman that is really just a number that you use to compare different suits.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Explain In laymens Terms - 04/08/07 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by gfretwell
It's just that "commie metric" thing.

You'd better be joking there, most of the civilised world uses metrics.
Fractions went out with the Plague. grin
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Explain In laymens Terms - 04/08/07 03:26 PM
No offense intended, that is just a redneck thing. We think it was just a way to cheat us out of a swallow of whiskey when we buy a "fifth" and get 750ml. wink
Posted By: Elviscat Re: Explain In laymens Terms - 04/08/07 10:21 PM
a "calorie" is the amount of energy needed to raise a gram of water one degree, a "Calorie" is actually a kilocalorie or 1,000 calories, the capital "C" imakes quite a bit of diference. if it helps you put in perspective one calorie is equal to 4.18 joules wink
Posted By: Zog Re: Explain In laymens Terms - 04/09/07 01:45 PM
And... Calories are not metric, thats why the 70E has changed to Joules/cm2.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Explain In laymens Terms - 04/09/07 04:02 PM
You'd better be joking there, most of the civilised world uses metrics.

Except America.
Posted By: ghost307 Re: Explain In laymens Terms - 04/09/07 08:40 PM
Has anybody else noticed that we landed on the Moon in equipment that was built in thousandths of an inch??

And that none of the metric countries have pulled off the same feat?

BTW, electricity is measured in metric units...amperes, coulombs, henrys, ...
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Explain In laymens Terms - 04/09/07 09:07 PM
Even in France, inventors of the metric system in the 18th C., you can still buy vegetables in livres [pounds], firewood in cords and threaded plumbing items clearly labelled in BSP/ANP. My bar has pint glasses. The BTU is still used to measure heat worlwide. As it happens my size 11 boot measures [and holds] exactly 1 foot & my hand is 4" wide. We still measure by the mile and the knot in the UK. Windspeeds are still quoted in Beaufort Scale, [based on mph]. As to the old gram-second-centigade units- they are deader than corduroy: SI units in metric were adopted well over 30 years ago. But imperial measure persists. Why? Because for the man in the street the metric system is a half-baked idea cooked up by intellectuals. Not, you will note a 50% idea, but a good ol' fraction!
Posted By: electech Re: Explain In laymens Terms - 04/10/07 02:50 PM
I think it would be really far out if someone made the standard unit of measure 1/10,000,000th the distance from the north pole to the equator, as it passes through Paris. This just totaly makes sense. Anything else is just arbitrary

smile
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Explain In laymens Terms - 04/13/07 11:37 AM
Quite right! Why bother with measuring the length of Rameses' elbow to finger span, [ one cubit = 6 palms; 18" ; 45cm ], when you can attempt to measure a quarter way round the earth from an ice-bound wilderness to an equatorial rainforest, and then get it wrong!

ps. Lobster Thermidor is named after the 11th month of the new Revolutionary Calender, ie "Thermidor". Just thought you needed to know that!

They are: Vendémiaire, Brumaire, Frimaire, Nivose, Pluviose, Ventose, Germinal, Floréal, Prairial, Messidor, Thermidor, Fructidor. Plus six days tacked on year end for luck.

Posted By: LarryC Re: Explain In laymens Terms - 04/13/07 05:14 PM
Mr. Belson, you must have a VERY understanding wife.

Or she tunes you out like mine does. smile
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Explain In laymens Terms - 04/14/07 11:23 AM
Been married 37 years April 4. We still hold hands - if I let go, she shops! We are a fastidious couple. She's fast and I'm....
© ECN Electrical Forums