ECN Forum
Posted By: SHELBY Asbstos in wiring - 03/20/06 08:12 PM
Hi everyone,
I am trying to verify if it is possible that the old large conductor wiring that I removed from and old industrial building could have a asbstos wrap.
conductor is large around 250mcm, it has a cloth like outer wrapping, next looks like a tape that turns to powder when skinned, next is the main plastic like insulation, very old I think at least 40 years old, I dont want to breath it if its asbestos
Any ideas?? any information would be great.
Shelby
Posted By: sabrown Re: Asbstos in wiring - 03/21/06 03:18 PM
I wish that I new and could be more helpful. I can not picture the insulation that you are working with.

My advice is to treat it as suspect and have it tested. It sounds that it may be friable if it is asbestos, as such I would get it tested (or verify that it was previously tested and found free of asbestos) before working near it. It very well may be worth the delay.

I am sorry that I do not know enough to give you a correct answer. It may help someone else get you the correct answer if you could post any identifiable marks or even a picture or two of the stuff.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Asbstos in wiring - 03/21/06 06:34 PM
Shelby,
If you can get a pic of the said wire, I'd be more than happy to throw it up in here. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Tiger Re: Asbstos in wiring - 03/22/06 12:16 AM
It sounds like varnished cambric to me. I don't know if there's any asbestos in it.

Dave
Posted By: Tiger Re: Asbstos in wiring - 03/22/06 12:21 AM
I did a Google search on varnished cambric & it is produced with and without asbestos.

Dave
Posted By: SHELBY Re: Asbstos in wiring - 03/29/06 12:48 AM
Hi everyone and thanks for the responses,
In regards to the possible asbestos in this large conductor,
I scanned over the conductor and found enough vague printing to come up with the name of the original label etc
"CGE VERSITOL BRAIDED RW60 AND R 7O"
CGE in my mind stands for Canadian General Electric, this was from a Ontario Canada location, the outer braided layer looks like cloth, then a type of tape (abestos?) then rubbery plastic. Thanks Shelby
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Asbstos in wiring - 03/29/06 11:43 AM
Not worth the risk for a few dollars in scrap value. I wouldn't touch it with a long stick. If it is asbestos sheathed, you have probably ingested enough already to have compromised your future well-being. My advice is to walk away. Hope you are not the 'new owner' of the cable BTW, because if so, you're now responsible for the safe disposal costs.

Alan
© ECN Electrical Forums