ECN Forum
Posted By: findthelight 13 min video of meter explosion - 03/09/06 11:59 PM
Last week I saw a posting about a 13 minute video clip available for download. It showed what happens when a meter arcs when being removed. I downloaded the clip but it didn't work so I deleted it and now cannot find any trace of the video. It is common practice here for inside wiremen to pull meters off residences even though it is not utility policy. I am doing an arc flash study and need some visuals to further my case against the practice.
Posted By: Surfinsparky Re: 13 min video of meter explosion - 03/10/06 12:26 AM
I can't really help you with that.Just the other week I had to re-circuit some motor loads.When I went to verify rotation I used my rotation tester that you can only use on de-engergized circuits.That went off pretty good.Momentary loss of vision permanent loss of meter.Poo poo happens when your working 480 live at 2 A.M.
Posted By: findthelight Re: 13 min video of meter explosion - 03/10/06 01:25 AM
Oooh..that is a bad day - or night. Also need to watch out for DVMs that need to be CAT III but are not really CAT III at 600v. Some are rated CAT III at a lower voltage so you have to look at the meter itself - they can self destruct and proceed to an arc fault. I just returned a shipment that looked like it was CAT III but further investigation revealed it was not.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: 13 min video of meter explosion - 03/12/06 11:02 AM
Gidday there Findthelight.
How about having a look at this link:
Pulling meters

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 03-12-2006).]
© ECN Electrical Forums