ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy Earmuffs vs Earplugs? - 01/23/04 11:33 AM
What sort of Hearing Protection do you guys prefer to wear?
I have to admit to using both in different situations.
I have a set of Earmuffs that I use in really noisy Areas and they attenuate up to 130 dB of noise.
I also have a set of ear-plugs that I use, where Earmuffs would be too hot and sweaty, like in Boiler rooms.
What do you guys use?. [Linked Image]
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Earmuffs vs Earplugs? - 01/23/04 11:38 AM
Earplugs. Less bulky and easier to work with.

Russell
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Earmuffs vs Earplugs? - 01/23/04 11:45 AM
Hi Russell,
Earmuffs are really only used here in the Noisiest of places, like Nightclubs!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Earmuffs vs Earplugs? - 01/23/04 12:14 PM
I've got a set of earmuffs I wear when I go to a Nascar race.

Now thats some noise!

Russell
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Earmuffs vs Earplugs? - 01/23/04 12:17 PM
Oh yeahhhh, mate!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Earmuffs vs Earplugs? - 01/23/04 12:41 PM
It's very seldom that I work anywhere noisy enough to require protection, but my choice is for muffs. I tried earplugs years ago (while working at a BT generator station) and never found them comfortable, so just settled with muffs.

Maybe years of growing up wearing headphones has something to do with my preference. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Earmuffs vs Earplugs? - 01/24/04 02:06 AM
Hey Paul,
I do a fair bit of maintenance at the local Meat works on the Slaughter-Board and all the guys have Ear-muffs with AM/FM Radio's built into them.
But I can't help but think that this is probably not the best thing as far as Safety goes, especially when you are using a Razor-sharp knife!.
Imagine if something good came on the radio as you were making an important cut. [Linked Image]
Posted By: spkjpr Re: Earmuffs vs Earplugs? - 01/24/04 04:05 AM
Trumpy, we use earplugs. The company tries to discourage the use of earmuffs as they do not seal as well with safety glasses (the co's opinion not mine). I use foam earplugs and they are not uncomfortable, I even carry them in the truck to use on side jobs when using a Roto-Zip. I have fist hand knowledge of what no hearing protection will do, my Dad worked for the RR before hearing protection was required. He has substantial hearing loss and can't hear birds sing or couldn't hear my daughter when she was young and her voice was higher pitched. I wear them uncomfortable or not!

[This message has been edited by spkjpr (edited 01-23-2004).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Earmuffs vs Earplugs? - 01/24/04 04:41 AM
spkjpr,
I really know what you are saying there mate!.
My Father is an Industrial Engineer and he suffers from Industrial Deafness, he told me that he suffers from Tinnitus these days (a constant ringing in the ears).
They never used to wear ear protection back 20 or so years ago.
Just a very sad way of bringing your work home with you!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: rennsport Re: Earmuffs vs Earplugs? - 01/24/04 04:51 AM
I wear custom made musician's earplugs when I ride my motorcycle whether it is across town or a 100 mile trip. I use to foanm plugs but they tend to want to re-expand once inserted and after a while they became painful for me.

I wear earmuffs when target shooting.

Rennsport
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Earmuffs vs Earplugs? - 01/24/04 04:51 AM
spkjpr,
Me and my Dad were actually working on the same plant at the local Cheese Factory and there was a guy grinding Stainless, what a ( ) rackett!!.
I told him to get his ear-muffs on, he agreed!.
That was cool!.
But, spkjpr, it's just like the old "smoke-eaters" we had in the Fire Service before Breathing Apparatus was bought out, hear them cough and choke these days, those that are still alive!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Earmuffs vs Earplugs? - 01/24/04 05:02 AM
Rennsport,
Look, you only get one set of eyes and ears, and use them and protect them as best you can, because, if you are like my Dad he will live until 90, 40 of them years with ringing in his ears.
Is that quality of life?.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Earmuffs vs Earplugs? - 01/24/04 05:59 AM
Trumpy,

Good Topic.

I wear ear protection when using the power actuated fastener guns (safety glasses too).

Thanks Mike,
[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Earmuffs vs Earplugs? - 01/24/04 06:24 AM
Bill,
You use a Ram-set Gun too?.
The bare minimum here is a licence to operate one and the use of Earmuffs and Safety Glasses.
BTW, is there a requirement to call "Firing!!" before actually firing the tool?, there is here and those that don't are liable to a real stern telling off!.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Earmuffs vs Earplugs? - 01/24/04 06:34 AM
Mike,

I once heard that training is required but I don't know where that came from or if it's true.

I'd always notify the people nearby that I'd be using the gun, especially in someones home, but not before every shot. Doesn't sound like a bad idea though.

Bill
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Earmuffs vs Earplugs? - 01/24/04 06:39 AM
Bill,
Only after you have worked directly above a guy using a Ramset gun on a ladder and I was working on a live 400V circuit and have a thing like this go off with no warning!.
This takes years off your life. [Linked Image]
Posted By: rennsport Re: Earmuffs vs Earplugs? - 01/25/04 01:43 AM
Trumpy,

the custom earplugs I have a 25db attenuation level. I could get more protection, but, I need to be able to hear my intercom and the the musician's plugs that I have filter out the road/wind noise which is the most harmful part of motorcycle riding.

Rennsport
Posted By: Big Jim Re: Earmuffs vs Earplugs? - 01/26/04 08:43 AM
I go for the ear muffs. I usually don't need protection all the time, just when using certain tools. The muffs are quick on and off, even when wearing gloves. I grab the tool, the muffs, and the glasses in one easy trip. I ALWAYS take muffs for me and the family when we go to the drag strip. The only problem is that the jet cars are so loud, nothing really helps. The noise just beats your whole body.
Posted By: SAFTENG Re: Earmuffs vs Earplugs? - 01/30/04 08:01 PM
BECAREFUL when using Ear Muffs at the same time you are using Safety Glasses. Some Studies have shown up to a 60% reduction in the Noise Reduction Rating for certain muffs when used in conjunction with safety glasses. The problem is the seal around your ear canal can be greatly comprimised by the ear piece of the glasses. Just something to think about...the manufacturer of your muffs should be able to answer any questions.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Earmuffs vs Earplugs? - 01/30/04 08:12 PM
Bryan,
That's a very good point that you make there.
I've experienced this before, with not being able to get a good "ear-seal" against the earmuff pads.
Usually, where I am required to wear safety glasses, I'll use ear-plugs instead. [Linked Image]
Posted By: spkjpr Re: Earmuffs vs Earplugs? - 02/03/04 03:54 AM
I can also identify with the smoke-eater concept. I was once a Natl certified Firefighter on our Fire Protection District.
Posted By: DougW Re: Earmuffs vs Earplugs? - 02/03/04 02:44 PM
I keep a set of foam plugs in my jacket, and a set of muffs in my hammer drill case - that way, they're always there, and I don't have to rip up the truck lookin' for 'em.

We had a few guys that were always crying "SAFETY" at the FD, and insisted that we get earmuffs for riding the jumpseats, and for backing apparatus into the bays, claiming the noise levels were too high with the back-up warning beepers.

Funny thing, though. The same guys who insisted on these "safety" requirements usually do their morning 2-cycle saw startup in the bay... standing in the 6 foot space between the rig, and the cinder block wall, while revving the saw up to speed.

But not a set of 'muffs in sight. [Linked Image]

Guess safety is in the eye (ears?) or the beholder.
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Earmuffs vs Earplugs? - 02/03/04 11:54 PM
I was working with a guy that used to like to listen to country music, which I can't stand. I twisted a yellow wire nut into each of my ears to drown it out. It works well in a pinch [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Earmuffs vs Earplugs? - 02/06/04 12:50 PM
Ryan,
Be careful pushing things like that into you ears.
The last thing you want to do is tear your eardrum!. [Linked Image]
I was always told that you should never poke anything smaller than your elbow into you ear canals. [Linked Image]
Posted By: nesparky Re: Earmuffs vs Earplugs? - 02/17/04 05:41 AM
I had towear both ear plugs and muffs for most of the time I was working on flight lines while in the USAF. I have a hi frequency hearing loss from all the jet engines small gas turbine engines and unmuffled gas or diesel engines that I worked on or was around all day.
Wearing any type of glasses does make muffs a lot less effective.
From 15 years of wearing both, I strongly recomend a properly fitted set of ear plugs. Keep them clean. Any time you are going to be in a noisy area wear them.
Even now after almost 20 years after leaving the USAF, I still have some ringing in my ears at times. I know it will never change and have gotten used to it but hope you do not have to.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Earmuffs vs Earplugs? - 02/18/04 10:46 AM
I was working with a guy that used to like to listen to country music, which I can't stand. I twisted a yellow wire nut into each of my ears to drown it out.

Ryan,

If I ever ask you to come work with me then, I'll provide you with a big bag of yellow wirenuts! [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums