ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy Safety???? - 01/03/04 03:18 AM
How do you quantify Safety?.
Does it mean no accidents, over a given period, or should it really mean, everyone understanding what Occupational Safety is.
Only in a perfect world, can you ever have a worksite where there are never any accidents.
As long as there are Industrial Processes, there will always be accidents.
But, what contributes to these accidents?.
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Safety???? - 01/03/04 03:27 AM
I can't speak for industrial type settings,but the construction accidents I've seen are mostly due to carelesness/lack of common sense.

Russell
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Safety???? - 01/03/04 03:53 AM
Hey Russell,
What sort of percentage Plumber/Electrician are you?. [Linked Image]
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Safety???? - 01/03/04 03:58 AM
Probably 80% electrical Trumpy,My partner holds a license in both,and I've worked for several companies who did both. So I'm reasonably comfortable with residential plumbing.

Russell
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Safety???? - 01/03/04 04:16 AM
So Russ, you have 2 sets of Codes to comply with.
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Safety???? - 01/03/04 04:29 AM
Yep. But as I said,all I do is residential plumbing,and around these parts,it's strictly potable water and dwv,no boilers,hot water heating and such.

Now, keep in mind that there's no inspect or permits locally,but I sometimes work in inspected areas and generally don't have much of a problem passing inspection.

I try to do it as by-the-book as possible,inspection or not. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Safety???? - 01/03/04 12:05 PM
It's a strange thing, Russell,
As a Line Mechanic, I am judged by how my work looks to the General public, with respect to wires leading from the Primary fuses to the Service Main leading to a house.
It's all O/Head and there are always people that are willing to say that you didn't do this, that, or the next thing properly, and it could have been done better.
Arm-chair critics, eh?. [Linked Image]
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Safety???? - 01/03/04 12:32 PM
Those who can,do. Those who can't,complain about those who can. [Linked Image]

Russell
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Safety???? - 01/03/04 12:35 PM
I'm hearin' ya there Russ!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: mvpmaintman Re: Safety???? - 01/03/04 03:15 PM
Safety is an attitude, that leads to actions. Safety is also concern about the health and well being of others.

PS-Trumpy its easy to be crtical when you're standing on the ground.
Posted By: SAFTENG Re: Safety???? - 01/12/04 12:21 AM
How do you quantify safety???? Each employee goes home in the same or better condition than when they showed up at work.

Providing a workplace where the employee is LESS LIKELY to get injured than they are on the way to and from work.

Providing the tools, resources, and knowledge to allow EVERY worker to work safely and to help each other work safely.

Safety is not about numbers, rather it is ALL ABOUT PEOPLE!!! The two, numbers and people, should never be mixed...just look at Enron.
© ECN Electrical Forums