ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Are You Following Safety Rules at Work? - 12/31/03 12:17 AM
How prepared is your facility for electrical hazards?

1. Everyone follows our electrical safety program to the letter.

2. Most people follow our electrical safety program.

3. People often ignore the requirements of our electrical safety program.

Go to: www.ecmweb.com/ and Cast your Vote!
Follow the rules! Stay Alive!!

[Linked Image from joetedesco.com]

Courtesy: Scott Luckado
scott@eri-safety.com
Posted By: sparky Re: Are You Following Safety Rules at Work? - 01/03/04 06:16 PM
gee Joe, are you looking for the 'shock effect pix' thread award here?

i'm sure i can choke up some doosies myself if it's a competition

~S~
sparky:

These were images I captured from the video that I show during my seminars.

I also ask the students if they want to see the real thing, and they either stay after the class, or come behind me to see the pictures I have collected.

I am sure, that as an EMS yourself, that you could show the "real images" and if you want to send some to me, that would be appreciated.

I guess we have to be a bit careful here on ECN before posting any really bad ones, like those that can be found on the Internet in areas were the webmaster devotes the space to images of people who were unlucky and where some were electrocuted!

I would be happy to email a few periodically to anyone who wants to collect the images showing burn and the way in which they are treated, etc..

I attended the meeting in Orlando a few months ago, and you should have seen the video that was shown were an electrician was seriously hurt!

I have plans on showing a few of the accidents during my seminars in Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, and Indianapolis during the next few months.
Posted By: sparky Re: Are You Following Safety Rules at Work? - 01/03/04 07:14 PM
well Joe,
to be honest, if the fear factor is a detriment to just one incident, then more power to you.

personally, i find it somewhat two dimensional, but hey, if we're talking similar workers, then i guess such tactics fit eh?

i would mention there are events before and after to most incidents.

one i have noted afterwards is the OSHA crew all over the place, especially if a fine looks likely.... rarely before as a preventitive measure...

but hey, what taxpayer would begrudge them staying in the black and off thier backs...

oh and the dude pictured? probably quite aware of his impending departure, as are the providers that would treat him, an added bonus for the live fast die young crowd's consideration

perhaps you could add sound ??

yrs, ~S~
sparky:

Let's hear more about the OSHA crews, and the before and after the incident issues.

That would be useful for us to read.

Personally, I have never seen a real live accident, except those that they show on TV after the accident.

I do know what an open neutral feels like and what it can do to you when replacing a ballast in a fluorescent fixture supplied by one that is multi-wire.

PS: I am pretty sure the NEC will add a rule to require a disconnect for all circuit conductors in a fixture of this type.
Posted By: sparky Re: Are You Following Safety Rules at Work? - 01/03/04 08:42 PM
That would be useful for us to read.

fair enough Joe...

i don't wish for such incidents, yet there have been 4 work related deaths here in our area in the recent past

should one occur (God forbid, but they do) i will try my best to report on those involved in said event, patient confidentiality considered.

of course, there are others here with a greater call volume that i'm sure could chime in also...

~S~
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Are You Following Safety Rules at Work? - 01/03/04 11:18 PM
It’s almost hard to believe that RH Lee’s original “…Other Electrical Hazard…” paper is 20+ years old now. Applying formal arc-flash considerations to the real world is past due.

Er, it’s www.ieee-pcic.org/archive/The%20oth...%20%20Electric%20Arc%20Flash%20Burns.pdf
Posted By: jlhmaint Re: Are You Following Safety Rules at Work? - 01/09/04 05:48 AM
The before and after osha senerio. I have worked industrial maint for 10 + yrs. You see more problems in your smaller plants i think the larger companies seem to be more on the ball.

Most osha random inspections look for the little stupid obvious problems grinder wheels that are worn, cords that are bad, stairs and platforms that are not to code.

While people in the shop are saying hay theres a problem over here and managment is draging there feet until the day that joe operator or maint man gets hurt then its a scramble to get it fixed right before osha comes in or someone else gets hurt.
Posted By: fireftr Re: Are You Following Safety Rules at Work? - 01/09/04 06:10 PM
Does any one have a copy of their electrical safety program or where I could get a guide to follow? I work in a large factory as an electrician and we just recently recieved electrical gloves. We work on voltages to 500V. I have a copy of NFPA 70E. We have a lot of problems with unauthorized people getting into our cabinets and resetting overloads, breakers. I would like to have some good solid info before I hit the safety people with questionsabout why they don't address this problem.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Are You Following Safety Rules at Work? - 01/10/04 01:36 AM
fireftr,
Just a small point.
What you should be saying to your employers, is the fact that un-authorised persons, should not be anywhere near the electrical controls, let alone resetting them.
Your employers will be directly in the gun, if anyone gets injured by the actions of a person, that is not comptetent to operate the protection equipment. [Linked Image]
Posted By: sparky Re: Are You Following Safety Rules at Work? - 01/11/04 01:20 PM
well it just didn't take long....
[Linked Image]
fully involved garage fire last night, the homeowner built the shop himself, lost it all, along with all his cabinetry tools [Linked Image]

natuarlly, the suspect is DIY'er wiring...

the whole sehebang was fed via pole mounted meter/main , an older murray i believe, the 100A breaker being double lugged...

at one point, being somewhat redundant help, i undid the feeder to the garage so that the house could be energized (after all it was 10 below)

so here we have what i see as most common malady i see here, along with a man out of work, as well as the toolage to work and support his family.

no doubt the donation cans will soon appear at the local choke & puke, but as the specture of blame is raised here, i have to ask who ultimately really is...

~S~
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Are You Following Safety Rules at Work? - 01/19/04 08:36 AM
jlhmaint,
You see more problems in your smaller plants i think the larger companies seem to be more on the ball.
The larger companies have a larger interest in this, because a lot more people would be affected by a Safety problem than the smaller companies.
Especially where an Electrical hazard could occur. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Big Jim Re: Are You Following Safety Rules at Work? - 01/20/04 08:43 AM
The fact of the matter is the bigger companies have much deeper pockets and their risk managers force a lot more action. Remember, it is difficult for government to enforce much but the insurance company can require anything they want, even above and beyond code.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Are You Following Safety Rules at Work? - 01/24/04 08:58 AM
Joe,
Sorry to thread-jack yourself and Sparky earlier on in this thread!. [Linked Image]
But, I must ask this, in those photos, above, those are obviously test dummies aren't they?. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Are You Following Safety Rules at Work? - 01/24/04 09:18 AM
Joe,
Just to agree with your first statement.
Follow the rules! Stay Alive!!
I'd add to that "and keep your fingers, toes, your good complexion and your scar- free body".
I know what it's like to have huge scarring!. [Linked Image]
Trumpy

The pictures were captured by me on my computer, and the video is done by "actors" but believe me it looks real.

I was experimenting, and found a way to stop and save the images, but the size is not really large enough, but does help when discussions arise.

I imagine that some of the videos use dummies like they do on the www.bussmann.com site where they discuss the subject of Arc Flash and PPE.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Are You Following Safety Rules at Work? - 01/24/04 11:03 AM
Joe,
Thanks for the reply.
I've never been in the situation where PPE has been worn because there is a real risk of it being needed, but I still wear it just the same.
On the other side of the coin, in the top pic that you posted what size fuses are those?.
Also this brings up another scenario, that I asked the question of a few months back.
Wearing Leather outers on your Live Gloves may be OK, but what say you have some sort of chemical residue from Crimping Aluminium splices on your gloves and some of these can be Flammable, especially Penetrox Grease, in contact with Leather Hide Gloves.
What gives?. [Linked Image]
Trumpy:

They looked like they were rated at 400 amp fuses? I will look again at the video to be sure this week. Your scenario about the "wire termination compound" is a good one.

I think that the gloves used are usually put into a bag for protection and should not be used for actual installations, but knowing that workers will use them sometimes can lead to what you are concerned with.

Now we should look for any restrictions or guidelines toward that additional safety rule, if any.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Are You Following Safety Rules at Work? - 01/24/04 11:31 AM
Yes Joe,
I agree on the abuse of Insulated gloves.
We are required to store them 2 seperate tubes (the rubbers I mean) Left and Right.
I had an aprentice Line Mechanic put a Screwdriver right through the middle of my Left glove one day, when stored as required, good thing I was always taught to roll them up before wearing them, as we were working on 66kV Delta Lines!
Posted By: SAFTENG Re: Are You Following Safety Rules at Work? - 01/30/04 08:17 PM
I hate to be negative, but your questions are assuming. I have only been in consulting for two years and in those two short years I can count the number of plants I have worked for that actually have a written electrical safety program and training program on one hand, I came from the Chemical Industry and I can say I THOUGHT everyone has an electrical safety program; after all, just read the news...look how many workers are electrocuted each year. Surely we don't need OSHA to regualte this...ooopppsss- sorry THEY ALREADY DO and still I would bet out of a hundred facilities less than 10% would have a well defined program (with training included) that would meet NFPA 70 or OSHA 1910 33.....-.335!
Posted By: sparky Re: Are You Following Safety Rules at Work? - 01/30/04 09:27 PM
our tax dollars @ work assuming a 90% failure rate SAFTENG ?

debatable efficy, wouldn't you agree?

~S~
© ECN Electrical Forums