ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy Sunburn? - 10/20/03 06:22 AM
I realise that you guys in the US are heading into Winter, but, what was your strategy, with working out in the sun?.
With Skin cancer levels sky-rocketing, how do you guys protect yourselves?.
Just interested.
Cheers,
Trumpy
[Linked Image]
{Message edited to correct bad spelling error}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 10-24-2003).]
Posted By: Big Jim Re: Sunburn? - 10/21/03 02:47 AM
Winter? In Denver, it was in the 80's today and forcast to be that way all week. Anyhow - wear a hat. If the job doesn't require a hard had, wear a hat with a small brim to keep the sun off your face and ears. I know a couple of people who have had cancer removed from those areas.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Sunburn? - 10/22/03 12:27 AM
TRumpy:
Basically, like Big Jim says, wear a hat. Sunscreen is handy sometimes, but perspiring a lot defeats that.

Personally, I wind up with a tan quickly, and I spend as much time as I can on my boat,hanging out, swimming, or cruising around. I hear the "speach" from my wife about the skin cancer thing, sometimes I listen, sometimes I don't.

Hey Joe.....please! NO graphic pics of guys with skin cancer.

John
Posted By: Tir Re: Sunburn? - 10/22/03 02:02 PM
Here in Texas I recomend the heaviest sun-screen you can apply and seek medical treatment at the first sign of an abnormality on the skin. I noticed a spot on my nose this year...saw the Doc. and he said it was pre-cancerous and was easily treated by cryo...he froze it! anyway I have found it better to schedule work start times and split shifts to avoid the hottest parts of the day, when it was possible.
Posted By: walrus Re: Sunburn? - 10/23/03 06:42 PM
I had a suspicous mole removed earlier this spring. Good thing too as it was cancerous. Pretty scary but hopefully they got it in time. Although the doctors aren't sure which is the scary part. I now go every 6 months to be checked and have had several other moles removed since, thankfully nothing found on them. Being fair skinned, red hair I fry pretty easy and did so alot when I was kid when their wasn't the concern. Thats when the damage was done. I use SPF 50, a Tilley hat and Solumbra clothes (SPF30 shirts). And I try to stay out of the sun as much as I can but.....
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Sunburn? - 10/25/03 01:42 AM
Thanks for your ideas Guys, [Linked Image].
They are predicting a shocker of a Summer here and with the hole in the Ozone layer looking like it's going to be something horrendous.
The skin cancer thing here, is a very REAL source of worry, because with our Ozone levels being depleted down here, we tend to get more UV rays in the sunlight, which means more skin cancer risk.
I get any suspicious-looking spots checked immediately.
Posted By: Pinemarten Re: Sunburn? - 10/25/03 02:07 AM
I live in Canada.
What the heck are you guys talking about?
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Sunburn? - 10/25/03 02:37 AM
Pinemarten. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Pinemarten Re: Sunburn? - 10/25/03 03:57 AM
I was kidding. We do get 2 weeks of summer up here every decade or so.
Posted By: walrus Re: Sunburn? - 10/25/03 11:36 AM
Pinemarten
I live in Maine, as close to Canada as one can get and I still got Skin cancer.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Sunburn? - 10/26/03 04:02 PM
The British weather being as it is, we have similar jokes along these lines:

We had two hours of sunshine this afternoon. Looks like summer's over.

Summer this year has been scheduled for August 27 to August 28.

It's raining this morning. Summer must be here.

And so forth.... [Linked Image]

But seriously, the sun can be quite strong at times. The hot summer we had this year (seems hard to believe now!) must surely have taken its toll on some people.

I saw several people on the beach during the hot spell who looked terribly sunburnt from, presumably, lying out on the sand all day unprotected.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Sunburn? - 01/23/04 10:03 AM
My God, is the sun getting fierce here!.
I used sunscreen and a hat and were wearing all of the "Cover-up Gear" required when working around Live Lines.
I replaced 58 33kV Insulators and I was burnt.
I recovered the sunscreen at two hourly intervals, but to no avail. [Linked Image]
If this is what it is like now, what on earth is it going to be like for people that work outdoors, in say 10 years time?.
I'm sitting here red as a beetroot (or beet in the US).
Posted By: pauluk Re: Sunburn? - 01/23/04 12:48 PM
It's been so dull and cloudy here this week that I've almost forgotten what the sun looks like.... [Linked Image]
Posted By: golf junkie Re: Sunburn? - 01/23/04 04:49 PM
We do quite a bit of irrigation work during the summer. That can mean all day long out in the sun. I use sunscreen, the higher SPF the better, I like the baby formula. It has high SPF and doesn't smell bad.

GJ
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Sunburn? - 01/24/04 01:56 AM
GJ,
I was wearing 30+ SPF sunscreen, but you have to wonder about wether the ratings on these products are real.
I had a shower earlier and there is a white band on my arm where my Watch usually is, the rest of my Forearms/hands are Red/Brown!.
Posted By: SAFTENG Re: Sunburn? - 01/30/04 08:21 PM
A PLUG for my "Partners in Safety" WorkSafe Victoria (over in your neck of the woods Trumpy). They are running an extensive Sun Burn protection campaign this summer for you guys. Have you seen it yet? Visit Worksafe Victoria

(Edited to shorten URL)

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 01-30-2004).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Sunburn? - 01/30/04 11:55 PM
SAFETENG,
Thanks for the link to that site, mate!. [Linked Image]
It's got some really good things on that site, must go back and have a good perusal, later.
© ECN Electrical Forums