ECN Forum
Posted By: 32VAC Powerlines kill man up 8m tree - 12/18/06 11:34 PM
By GREG McLEAN
19dec06
A DARWIN man has been electrocuted after touching live power lines while gardening in his front yard.

The 45-year-old Ludmilla man was cutting down 8m-tall Carpentaria palms in his yard about 3pm on Sunday when one of the branches came crashing down on nearby overhead powerlines.

It is believed the father-of-five was electrocuted when he somehow touched the powerline while trying to remove the palm.

His family was on the scene immediately to raise the alarm and tried to resuscitate him.

Paramedics arrived quickly as PowerWater technicians safely secured the downed powerline.

A neighbour, who is a doctor, and paramedics administered CPR.

Despite their frantic efforts, the man could not be revived and he was rushed to Royal Darwin Hospital.

Doctors at the hospital continued to try and resuscitate the man but he was pronounced dead about 4pm on Sunday.

An autopsy was conducted yesterday and the provisional cause of death was found to be electrocution.

NT Police will now prepare a file for the Coroner.

The man was a popular member of the Darwin Runners and Walkers Club.

Lindy Bower, a club spokeswoman, said all members felt for the close-knit family.

"They're a lovely family who are very committed to their sport," she said.

"Our hearts go out to them for their loss in what can only be described as a freak accident."

Club members are organising a fundraiser to help the family.

The family requested the man's name not be released.
http://www.ntnews.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,20950095%255E13569,00.html
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Powerlines kill man up 8m tree - 12/19/06 01:16 AM
Thanks for posting this here 32VAC. [Linked Image]
People trimming trees near live power lines, unfortunately often ends up like an accident like this occuring.
I've attended quite a few local callouts where home-owners have bought down (insulated) 400/230V lines running along the footpath (side-walk) outside thier property boundary.
It certainly does make a good case for underground reticulation, but if people just took a bit more care when trimming trees, we wouldn't have the problems, damage and injuries/fatalities associated with this sort of work.
IMO, I think that a lot of people are led into a false sense of security, because wood is traditionally thought of as an insulator.
That is quite true, but not if it is still growing and is full of water.
I must say that in my job as a Line Mechanic, it is trimming trees near power lines that worries me the most, out of most of the tasks
in my job description.
Tree branches are unpredictable and even holding them with a clamp on the end of a hotstick near live lines is a real worry.
It's a task that can only be done in many, small pieces.
32VAC,
It's a real shame that this happened so close to Christmas as well, it ruins any Christmas in the future for that family. [Linked Image]
Not nice at all.
© ECN Electrical Forums