ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Recall of Propane Heaters - 08/21/03 08:32 PM
CPSC, Academy Sports and Outdoors Announce Recall of Propane Heaters
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission announces the following recall in voluntary cooperation with the firm below. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of product: Timber Creek Propane Heaters

Units: About 40,400

Manufacturer: Academy Sports and Outdoors, of Katy, Texas

Hazard: The heaters can emit high levels of carbon monoxide (CO), posing a risk of CO poisoning to consumers if used indoors.

Incidents/Injuries: No injuries have been reported. This recall is being conducted to prevent the possibility of injuries.

Description: The heaters have a 6 inch heat reflector and operate with a disposable 16.4-ounce or 14.1-ounce propane tank, sold separately. The product has a chrome neck, a black "on/off" switch, and a black plastic base that houses the propane cylinder.

Sold at: "Academy Sports and Outdoors" stores exclusively sold the heaters in Alabama, Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Tennessee and Texas from Sept. 2001 through May 2003 for about $20.

Manufactured in: China

Remedy: Return the heaters to any Academy Store for a refund.

Consumer Contact: Academy stores at (800) 577-8684 between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. CT Monday through Friday, or visit the firm's Web site at www.academy.com
Click >> Press Release

[Linked Image from cpsc.gov]

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 08-21-2003).]
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Recall of Propane Heaters - 08/25/03 05:50 PM
I have a BIG problem with this recall.

Hazard: The heaters can emit high levels of carbon monoxide (CO), posing a risk of CO poisoning to consumers if used indoors.

What person in their RIGHT MIND uses a fuel-burning portable heater INDOORS???

I always thought Kerosene heaters and propane heaters were designed to be used either outdoors or in open places like warehouses that are frequently drafty anyway...

New York City, I believe, forbids the use of kerosene heaters indoors. I don't know if the same applies for propane.

Common sense would dictate yes since you also have the danger of CO poisoning if you heat your house with your gas oven and stove (lots of people here, including myself, have been forced to do this in buildings where the landlords refuse to provide heat - we always would keep the kitchen window opened a couple of inches in order to let the fumes escape).

Or at least burn it with the windows open just a bit.

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 08-25-2003).]
© ECN Electrical Forums