ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Recall of Star ME-1 Dry Fire Sprinklers - 04/25/03 10:54 PM
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and American Household Inc. (AHI), formerly known as Sunbeam Corporation, of Boca Raton, Fla., today announced the nationwide recall of about 60,000 Star ME-1 dry fire sprinklers. Chemetron Corporation, an inactive subsidiary of AHI, manufactured these sprinklers from 1977 through 1982. This recall announcement follows the resolution of an administrative proceeding filed by CPSC on October 9, 2001, in which CPSC alleged these sprinklers are defective and are likely to fail to operate in a fire, thereby exposing consumers to the risk of death or serious injury.

CPSC reports that samples of Star ME-1 sprinklers removed from several locations and tested by independent testing laboratories did not operate as intended. Although there have been no reports that Star ME-1 dry sprinklers manufactured by Chemetron Corporation have failed to operate while in use, CPSC has received reports of two failures involving Star ME-1 dry sprinklers manufactured by other companies. One report involved a 1976 sprinkler, and the other, sprinklers installed in 1990.
Click >> more info
© ECN Electrical Forums