ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Electrical Safety Advice Questionable? - 11/10/02 09:37 PM
A member advised me of this information and it appears questionable. Look it over and please add you comments.

http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProjectCenter/workshoptips.asp?DOC_ID=p_3_27_15138_15139_15140.html
Posted By: sparky Re: Electrical Safety Advice Questionable? - 11/10/02 09:47 PM
do U mean the use of LOTO Joe??

[Linked Image from blackanddecker.com]

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 11-10-2002).]
[Linked Image from blackanddecker.com]

Soap?

Remove a broken light bulb—after turning off the electricity or unplugging the lamp—by inserting a bar of soap, then turning counterclockwise. Discard the soap. Or, use needlenose pliers to grip the filament or the metal base of the bulb.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 11-10-2002).]
Posted By: sparky Re: Electrical Safety Advice Questionable? - 11/11/02 12:21 AM
yeah...uhm...soap?.... thought that sort of odd too....a twist on the old irish spring commercials came to mind..... [Linked Image]
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: Electrical Safety Advice Questionable? - 11/14/02 03:10 AM
I've never seen soap recommended for that purpose before. Usually they call for a potato... [Linked Image]
Posted By: mamills Re: Electrical Safety Advice Questionable? - 11/14/02 05:30 PM
The tip of a pair of needlenose pliers, spread open against the inside of the screw shell, has always worked for me...even on large lamps or ones with a bayonet base (like some stage lighting lamps).

I've never been one to waste a perfectly good potato... [Linked Image]

Looking at that ampacity table, I would think that an 18awg. extension cord for any kind of power tool would be pretty flimsy.

Mike (mamills)

[This message has been edited by mamills (edited 11-14-2002).]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Electrical Safety Advice Questionable? - 11/15/02 12:48 AM
OK—that begs the obvious question: what would you rather do after you replaced the lamp? Use the soap bar on your armpits—or eat the potato?
Posted By: Trainwire Re: Electrical Safety Advice Questionable? - 11/15/02 02:02 PM
Ya gotta give em credit for that much consideration of a LOTO.

TW
© ECN Electrical Forums