ECN Forum
Posted By: N.O.Minded Masters Exam - 01/24/02 09:49 PM
Greetings to all [Linked Image] I would like to request some feedback from all members as to how many times you have taken your Master Exams before passing. I have several friends that are EC's and everyone I have talked to so far who has their license has taken the exam a minimum of three times before receiving a passing score. I am asking because I took mine for the second time a couple of weeks ago and found out today that I failed once again [Linked Image] I am beginning to become a bit discouraged and would appreciate any input you guys want to give. One of my friends seems to think that there is an elaborate conspiracy dedicated solely to not allowing anyone to get their contractors license before their third sitting [Linked Image]
Thanks, Andrew
PS. I have been in the trade for ten years and done a little of everything four years residential (all sides), four commercial, two inustrial
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Masters Exam - 01/25/02 01:12 AM
Hmmmm... Three times for me too...

(third time's the charm?)
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Masters Exam - 01/25/02 01:17 AM
One time worked for me fortunately. The test was hard enough once!
Posted By: aphares Re: Masters Exam - 01/25/02 01:32 AM
Thank god 1 time was enough for me. Would not want to try it twice.
The best thing I did was too take a course in Tom Henry's class, Some might agree, or disagree, but when it come to the Blocks and Assoc. test he knows what he was talking about. I dont work for him, nor did I get paid to say this, but it's true.
I remember one guy in the same time I took mine, and the only book he had was the Handbook (not allowed), and he had to take the test without a book of any kind. Could you imagine how he felt.... Out of about 15 people taking the test only two of us passed that day. Not very high statistics.
GOOD LUCK....
Posted By: gary long Re: Masters Exam - 01/25/02 04:06 AM
For the people that has took it the first time that is great if you passed. The only reason that I have passed several first times is WAY BEFORE THE INTERNET with great people like Mike holt and Joe Tedesco and many others that you may not have heard about yet. If I had my choice I would love to re-do that again ! ... I think that everyone in this trade should really understand the code and then look at some old code books and check it out ... But what bothers me is the big companys come out with a new product and it cost alot and they have a billion and three dollars to make it a code. I have been wiring bazillions of units since the 70's and I have yet to get a callback.. untill the gfi's came along.... PUSH THE RESET BUTTON lol ... but all I can say is from what I have seen the people that really want to be in this trade will not give up even if they do pass thier test and always learn more. Thank all of you for this website... I am so glad that it is alive ! " Whyrag "
Posted By: tmeg46 Re: Masters Exam - 01/25/02 12:11 PM
Andrew, I live in Fl and I know people who took the test and had high 90 scores and people who took it and took it and took it. I took it twice. The Head of the Electrical Dept. in our county who was responsible for issuing new procedures took it SIX times. That was during his period of employment. I believe it is a "Block" test still (testing company) and I believe they help in making it dfficult for their own reasons. Talking with other people who have taken the test it seems they can keep the Master population down by regulating the testing difficulty.

Sorry you did not pass. You will just keep hanging in there. You know the material, I'm sure, so (until you run out of money paying for the retest) hang in there.

Tom, Naples.

One more thing: I know some extremely good electricians who cannot take a test. Not saying you are that way but just know that not passing a test does not diminish how good an electrician you are.
Posted By: Frank Cinker Re: Masters Exam - 01/25/02 01:36 PM
Don't feel alone. It's a very difficult exam. Prepare so time is not a factor. Keep at it. You will pass. Be very familiar with the location of the various tables. Take practice exams if you can. Much material is available online. Repetition is most helpful. I doubt if there is such a conspiracy concerning the test. I suggest you over prepare (is there is such a thing) and go in to the test room with a positive attitude.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Masters Exam - 01/25/02 03:27 PM
gary long:

Thanks for your kind words -- they were a reminder for me -- "BC & BI" -- "BEFORE COMPUTERS" & "BEFORE INTERNET"

I was always interested in the code, and I still have my first copy of the 1965 edition, you should see some of my collection of early code books, they all look like the rainbow because of the notes in red and yellow, and even in green for grounding.

What I am trying to get at, is that I always sat and read the code. I can honestly say that I read it cover to cover over 20 times during the 1968 through the 1978 edition, that probablly was the reason I was sure that I would pass my electrician's licenses, many electrical inspector's tests back then, and like Frank said I always had a positive attitude.

Another way to learn where the rules are located is to take the index and put it in the front of the book. This is easier when you have the looseleaf version, but can be accomplished if you want.

I am aware of some cities, states, and the testing agencies that do not allow use of a code book during the test, but disagree with that very much, although using blank pages do serve well for notes when they can be found in between the covers, or at the rear.

Study and Study Hard, you will pass for sure!!

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 01-25-2002).]
Posted By: wolfdog Re: Masters Exam - 01/25/02 09:03 PM
I passed the second time. You don't have to memorize the book,(I'm amazed Joe T. did),but you have to know what is in the book and where to find it quick. They don't allow enough time for uncertainty.
Posted By: RockyJo Re: Masters Exam - 01/26/02 12:44 AM
I have never taken the block test. When we were tested, you registered in the City you wanted to have your base license. My base is Dallas, TX. They may have had a conspiracy at that time. I believe a block test is a good test. It gives everyone a equal opportunity to pass. If you do not pass a test, it does not mean you do know what you are doing.

Go into the test with a positive attitude, be calm, and take the test. If you do not pass,keep trying. I took the test, three times before passing. THREE TIMES! Keep up with the code changes. Electrical work is in the most part common sense. Safety first!

If you can go home and sleep at night knowing you did a good job, great!

FYI: Once you get the license, DO NOT LET THEM EXPIRE!

When I am retired and greeting people at a Walmart, I WILL STILL HAVE A CURRENT LICENSE!

RockyJo
Posted By: RockyJo Re: Masters Exam - 01/26/02 12:54 AM
If you do not pass a test, it does not mean you do know what you are doing.

Sorry,

If you do not pass a test, it does not mean you don't know what you are doing. Just means,you did not pass the test. Try again!
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Re: Masters Exam - 01/26/02 02:47 AM
I passed the Houston test on my second try. I passed the SBCCI on the first try. No one has passed the Houston master's since 5 of us passed back in Febuary '01. Houston has the reputation of being one of the hardest in the nation. I guess the fact that we are the 3rd or 4th largest city in the country, and we have less than 700 masters in the entire city is a testimony of that.
I tell people to start taking the test, and take it every time you have a chance util you pass.
Doc
HMEL #688
Posted By: wolfdog Re: Masters Exam - 01/26/02 03:14 AM
Hey Rocky Jo, I took it in Dallas and you may be right. When I took the test, I had a load calc. of around 1600 amps and it was +/-3 amps and +/- 0 on VA calcs.
A 120 volt 100 watt light bulb was figured as 50 watts on each leg of a 220 volt service. Everything had to balance - on paper.
I think they are using the block test now.
Posted By: eman1963 Re: Masters Exam - 01/26/02 03:29 AM
hello i passed my masters first time in rhode island i went to a prep course and the instructor was great i had most of the answers in my head at lease 90% right off the bat

keep trying u'll pass dont give up

hi joe tedesco

joe pina
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Masters Exam - 01/26/02 03:59 AM
Glad to see all the new 'Faces' here!

A Funny (now) story;

We have 2 Exams, a written and then a practical (hands on). The written was no problem, scored somewhere in the 90s.
After taking the practical exam I was told I failed it. I rescheduled and took it again .. same result. The examiner asked why I did something (same 'wrong' as the first time) which was not what they wanted. Well, after rereading the Exam instructions together it was determined that I was correct after all and I was passed.

I had a friend who was given a code book to use (looseleaf) with the pages mixed up. He thought it was part of the exam. He didn't pass that one.

Bill

P.S. you'll get there N.O., I think the secret is not in how much you know, but knowing where to find the answers. Because it's an 'open book' test as far as the code stuff goes they'll probably ask some pretty obscure questions. You should practice with sample questions finding the relevant code sections. Familiarize yourself with where everything is located as much as you can. Don't get discouraged.

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 01-26-2002).]
Posted By: eesparx Re: Masters Exam - 01/26/02 05:01 AM
First time. I'm not saying it was easy, but it was nothing compared to the exams (electrical engineering courses, physics, chemistry, calculus, etc.) back in my college days. LOL
Posted By: aldav53 Re: Masters Exam - 01/26/02 06:07 PM
I took the Electrical Contractors exam 3 years ago and it took me 3 times to pass it. It is a bit tough, but study some more and you'll get it.
Al Davis
Chandler, AZ
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Masters Exam - 01/26/02 07:21 PM
Ever run into folks with PhDs who insist on being called "Doctor"?

Pass your Masters, then make a similar demand...

"I am 'Master'"...
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Re: Masters Exam - 01/28/02 03:40 AM
Hey Sparky66......As far as I'm concerned you are "the" "mastaaaa" [Linked Image]
Posted By: N.O.Minded Re: Masters Exam - 04/21/02 03:29 PM
I appreciate all the comments and encouragement. I recently took the exam (once again) and passed with flying colors!
I am still working for a local contractor and wanting to go into business for myself. I know it is not going to be easy, but if I can make more in two hours woking for myself than local ec's are willing to pay qualified workers for a full day, I believe it is going to be worth it. Not to mention the freedom of being able to go and pick up my sick 2 yr old if needed without having to explain to the "boss" (other than the client)
anyway, Thanks everyone,
Andrew
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Masters Exam - 04/21/02 06:54 PM
Ah, yes, the freedom to choose one's hours when they're self-employed...

And we usually choose to work "all of them"...

(It's only funny if it's true)
Posted By: N.O.Minded Re: Masters Exam - 04/21/02 07:46 PM
That's about the same as what I have heard from a couple of my friends that are EC's. They both agree that in the first year up to but not limited to the first four years an average work week includes about 65 - 80 hrs and these do not include time spent at home on the phone with GC's, EE's, looking up things on the internet, etc...
Oh well, I am still all for it with a twenty year goal of retiring or having someone take it over. Something that struck me in a previous post and hit home pretty well was something to the effect of...
"Electrical work is something that I would do for free or as a hobby, to actually make a decent living doing this and be able to pay for my children to go to college with the revenue from it is just an invaluable bonus to me" Again, thanks for the comments,
Andrew
Posted By: master66 Re: Masters Exam - 04/21/02 11:27 PM
N.O.Minded,
I'm glad that doing electrical work is something that you would do for free because when you are self employed sometimes you do!
I have been in business for 10 years now as an electrical contractor and can tell you that just because you may be a good electrician does not necessarily mean that you are a business person.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy what I do and could not imagine what I would be doing if I wasn't doing this. But, as I look around I started realizing. I don't know any retired electrical contractors - seems they usually work until they die. And, I don't know of any highly successful 1st generation electrical contractors. Most successful contracting businesses were started by fathers or grandfathers.
I always wonder if these second or third generation contractors know how lucky they are to have had the guidance and experience of their family... I am not so furtunate and am having second thaughts as to if I would be better off working for someone else.
think it through!
© ECN Electrical Forums