ECN Forum
Posted By: NoShorts4Me Whats your speciality? - 01/16/02 04:07 AM
I'm new to this board, but so far I've really enjoyed the discussions. Its really interesting to see the varied techniques and views on how to do the same job. Plus, having spent my whole career in California, how different the Utility-Electrical Contractor relationship is.
Anyway, what I thought would be interesting, is if people chimed in, stating what there electrical speciality was. Residential, commercial, industrial, hi-voltage....etc. Might make it easier when looking for an answer, or a different way of doing the same job. Just a thought.
cheers
NS4M

ps. Our speciality is underground hi-voltage installations.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Whats your speciality? - 01/16/02 04:34 AM
Below is a link to a similar thread.

https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000765.html
Posted By: NoShorts4Me Re: Whats your speciality? - 01/16/02 04:37 AM
Sorry about that. Didn't intend to be repetitive.
Cheers
NS4M
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Whats your speciality? - 01/16/02 12:49 PM
I am also new here and did not post on the other threads so I will answer here.
85 % Residential remodel, some light commercial and occasional service calls. Most jobs are kitchen renovations, bathrooms, and additions, very few new houses. Worked in commercial for a while but hated being on one job for months at a time. I would say my specialty is old work. I can snake just about anything. Many electricians I know make homeowners tear down the ceiling for recessed light installation, not me. I get my trusty rotozip and vacuum and I'm off!
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Whats your speciality? - 01/16/02 02:18 PM
NoShorts,

Welcome to the Forums. It's always good to bring this up now and then. As for myself, I've done some Commercial and Industrial but mainly Residential Remodel right now.

You'll find there's a great bunch of people here and we even get to have a little fun sometimes. ... So .. Along those lines I gotta ask (before Sparky does) [Linked Image]

Is the Name 'NoShorts4Me' alluding to a perfect safety record, or are you making a 'Fashion Statement' ? [Linked Image]

Bill
Posted By: NoShorts4Me Re: Whats your speciality? - 01/17/02 02:04 AM
Is the Name 'NoShorts4Me' alluding to a perfect safety record, or are you making a 'Fashion Statement' ?

Well both actually. But the latter is the much more enjoyable explanation..;-)
Posted By: electure Re: Whats your speciality? - 01/17/02 02:17 AM
Mom always told me to wear clean undershorts so that if something happened, I would be presentable for the Doctor. [Linked Image]
(quite the worst-case-scenarioist, Mom was)

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 01-16-2002).]
Posted By: Nick Re: Whats your speciality? - 01/17/02 02:48 AM
NoShorts,
I have been looking for info on high voltage installations for a long time to no avail. Do you have any info/ resource you could pass along?
Posted By: NoShorts4Me Re: Whats your speciality? - 01/18/02 03:25 AM
Hey Nick....what exactly are you looking for?
Products? installation procedures?
NS4M

[This message has been edited by NoShorts4Me (edited 01-17-2002).]
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Whats your speciality? - 01/18/02 04:09 AM
My specialty?

Taking proven money making methods and figuring out a way to lose money on them...

At least it seems that way...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Nick Re: Whats your speciality? - 01/19/02 02:01 AM
I am really looking for the installation procedures and methods. The extent of my high voltage experience is pulling conductors for someone else to terminate. I don’t know much about things like;
1) Some circuits are pulled in with concentric wire on the outside that seems to double as a neutral or a ground.
2) Others have a metallic tape inside that does the same thing.
3) Sometimes grounding conductors are pulled. Sometimes not.
Really I am just interested in learning how to do high voltage installations and there is not much in the way of literature. The Los Angeles local of the IBEW (local 11) has a great program. It is a yearlong and the school is in down town LA. I am about 80 miles from there. I am willing to make the sacrifice but I am a member of local 477. Non-local 11 members have to pay almost $1000.00 for the training. [Linked Image] Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy out of my budget! I am supposed to get in for a reasonable price through my employer since they pay into local 11’s funds but so far I have not had any luck. I have just noticed that there is thousands and thousands of books on 600V or less stuff. But when you search for high voltage you get to learn how to build Tesla coils. [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums