ECN Forum
Posted By: NJ_WVUGrad Best NCV "Tick Tracer" - 03/11/07 01:29 PM
Looking to by a new tick tracer

I have been through about 4 of the Greenlee ones, the stupid end cap/on-off/battery holder keeps springing off and getting lost. Clever marketing maneuver on their part - they got me to buy 4 of em.

Saw the Fluke model at Cooper Supply - has an on/off button which looks nice. I am generally pleased with Fluke's equip in general.

Anyone have any recomendations?
Posted By: Sixer Re: Best NCV "Tick Tracer" - 03/11/07 02:36 PM
Fluke 1AC-II / 1LAC-II VoltAlert.
All of my crew have these and we've been satisfied with them. http://ca.fluke.com/caen/products/Fluke+1ACII+VoltAlert.htm?catalog_name=FlukeCanada&Category=ELT(FlukeProducts)
Posted By: JCooper Re: Best NCV "Tick Tracer" - 03/11/07 03:28 PM
I too have be thru a few of the Greenlee tick testers, I bought a Fluke about 6 months ago and have not had any problems with it, I like it very much.
Posted By: steve ancient apprentice Re: Best NCV "Tick Tracer" - 03/11/07 03:42 PM
I also have had proles with the cap on the end of the greenlee testers. The fluke that is shown is the one I like. No problems with it at all. However they make another one that I cant stand. It has a button on it to turn it off and on and to have a beep or no beep. Stay away from that thing. I dont really care that much about money but I found that thing to be a waste of 25 bucks. Just my 1 cent worth though.
Steve
Posted By: togol Re: Best NCV "Tick Tracer" - 03/11/07 03:45 PM
Hioki makes one that has two status lights : one for "on" and the other for indicating....but I'm too scared to buy it
Posted By: Niko Re: Best NCV "Tick Tracer" - 03/11/07 09:41 PM
I have been very happy with the GB noncontact tester. No On/Off switch to worry about. works great.
Was not able to post picture.

Edward
Posted By: noderaser Re: Best NCV "Tick Tracer" - 03/12/07 05:24 AM
The Greenlee I have is covered by a lifetime warranty... Is the faulty battery cap not covered by that?
Posted By: DougW Re: Best NCV "Tick Tracer" - 03/13/07 06:08 PM
Originally Posted By NJ_WVUGrad:
I have been through about 4 of the Greenlee ones, the stupid end cap/on-off/battery holder keeps springing off and getting lost. Clever marketing maneuver on their part - they got me to buy 4 of em.
LOL - I just lost my cap for mine.
mad
Well, looking on the bright side, it's and excuse to clean out the back of the truck. laugh
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Best NCV "Tick Tracer" - 03/14/07 05:12 AM
I have a few of these too. I never lost a cap though.

I believe Fluke has 2 different models now.

1 with an audible sensor, and 1 without.

They're good for killing circuits while working in a basement alone.
Posted By: Ewire88 Re: Best NCV "Tick Tracer" - 03/14/07 07:53 PM
I know klein carries them and a few guys on my job site have them and they are pretty good but they don't have an alert sound. I too have a Greenlee but I haven't had the battery cap pop off yet.
Posted By: big guy Re: Best NCV "Tick Tracer" - 03/14/07 08:30 PM
+1 ON GB
cheap and works good.
Posted By: Redsy Re: Best NCV "Tick Tracer" - 03/16/07 10:49 PM
http://www.gardnerbender.com/whats_new/products/Circuit_Alert.shtml

I got one testerday, but haven't used it yet.
I like the standard GB unit though.

Those of you who have been here some time may remember my initial entry into this site. Users of these instruments, please read it here:
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/1/133.html#000000

BTW, it's been 6 years. I still haven't heard from them!
Posted By: CRW Re: Best NCV "Tick Tracer" - 03/18/07 01:38 AM
I've used GBs, the old Greenlees, the newer Greenlees with the on/off switch attached to the cap, and the Ideals. Also the old Fluke w/o the audible, and now the newest ones w/ the push button. I like the newer Flukes the best--it has an auto shut-off function and the option to have audible or not. The flashing signal to indicate it's working is great too. And it's not constantly beeping in your pocket when you're not using it.
Posted By: Hendrix Re: Best NCV "Tick Tracer" - 03/18/07 04:12 PM
Yes, the Greenleys pick up the static when you put then in your shirt pocket or tool belt
Posted By: Ewire88 Re: Best NCV "Tick Tracer" - 03/22/07 10:46 PM
I accidentally dropped my greenlee off a ladder today on the job and now the audible alert doesn't work but the flashing light works fine, should it be replaced even if the light still works?
Posted By: Elviscat Re: Best NCV "Tick Tracer" - 03/23/07 05:26 AM
actually the audible alert gets a little wearisome after awhile *beeep* *beeep* *beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep* so the silent ones are nice, one with an on/off for the audible would be even nicer

if the audible alert on mine broke due to trauma I'd replace it for fear that some other part was damaged too

-Will
Posted By: richard Re: Best NCV "Tick Tracer" - 04/01/07 09:03 PM
I too lost the cap off my greenlee tracer, so i sent it back to greenlee and a month later got a new one. The cap has the same on off switch, but is more resistant to turn to take it off, so don't throw yours out, send it back to greenlee!
Posted By: BigB Re: Best NCV "Tick Tracer" - 04/01/07 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by Elviscat
actually the audible alert gets a little wearisome after awhile *beeep* *beeep* *beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep* so the silent ones are nice, one with an on/off for the audible would be even nicer

if the audible alert on mine broke due to trauma I'd replace it for fear that some other part was damaged too

-Will

yes my helper had a Greenlee and more than a time or two I was tempted to grab it and chuck it out the window.
© ECN Electrical Forums