ECN Forum
Posted By: Sandro "press on" plates - 03/01/07 11:52 PM
Went to the suppliers today, they were demo-ing a new Hubbel(?) receptacle that you literally press the finish plate on to attach to the receptacle. Screwdriver required only to *remove* the plate. Brilliant, I say. Glad to see somebody is thinking and innovations continue to improve our trade.
Posted By: steve ancient apprentice Re: "press on" plates - 03/02/07 12:27 AM
Sandro,
I do not do much residential work but last yaer we did a house and installed the new cheeta system similar to the one you are talking about. I found it to be very user friendly, and much faster to install. They even come with their own boxes and no screwdrivers needed to install the receptacles. I posted a thread on it in august or sept. I found the fit of the plate to be very nice and professional. Forgive my lousy keyboard skills.
Posted By: Elviscat Re: "press on" plates - 03/02/07 04:46 AM
in Mexico many of the electrical devices are similar to what we call "despard" devices here in the states, 1-3 per yolk, snap in, with European style terminals in back and they all had push-on plates

-Will
Posted By: SteveFehr Re: "press on" plates - 03/02/07 11:45 AM
You missed a chance to get a free box! Others have stated their experience with the new Hubbells here:
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/007702.html
Posted By: Zapped Re: "press on" plates - 03/02/07 01:43 PM
They sent me some too when I followed the link in this forum.

They seem like a pretty good idea, but I haven't put them to the test yet - All my clients seem to want deco lately, and the ones they sent me are standard duplex outlets.

Does anybody know if anything like this comes in a deco? It seems like it wouldn't really be possible due to the placement of the screw receivers.
Posted By: Rewired Re: "press on" plates - 03/02/07 11:34 PM
Actually I had a look at one of those new Hubbell residental grade switches.. They don't look too bad but I did not get a chance to look at an actual receptacle... Nedco is going to be the only place I know of to get these at the moment as they will not be stocking Leviton anymore..
A.D
Posted By: Wizzie Electric Re: "press on" plates - 03/06/07 09:44 PM
I recieved a box aswell.
Posted By: macmikeman Re: "press on" plates - 03/07/07 07:33 PM
Wave of the future. Cheetah is highly recommended by Romex Racer, and what better recomendation can you get?
Posted By: ITO Re: "press on" plates - 03/07/07 08:13 PM
The supply houses have been trying to get me to pick these up: PS Plug Tail Devices

They look fast and easy but getting them approved for a commercial job has been hard.
Posted By: LarryC Re: "press on" plates - 03/07/07 08:53 PM
How many cycles is that back connector rated for? Most internal connectors I have dealt with, are only good for 25 or 50 mate and unmate cycles.

LC
Posted By: ITO Re: "press on" plates - 03/07/07 11:08 PM
Dont know, dont care, as long as its UL listed.

Besides I dont think one would be undoing the connection that often.

[This message has been edited by ITO (edited 03-07-2007).]
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: "press on" plates - 03/08/07 03:59 PM
The "snap-on" plates have been around for YEARS.

They are pretty much the standard in other countries that use American style and size devices. Japan, Taiwan, Mexico, Colombia, Peru, Thailand....etc.

Even in South Korea, where round-pin European sockets are the norm, the switches and sockets are designed to fit in American-size boxes.

The only problem is sometimes they don't stand up very well to being removed and reused -- the little pastic "snaps" snap right off. Depends on the age and the plastic used, I guess.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: "press on" plates - 03/09/07 06:37 PM
We've had them here in NZ for about the last 10 years, you can get them in plain white or all sorts of "designer" colours, even "faux gold" if that takes your fancy.
Here's a plain white RCD fitting without and with the cover plate:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: "press on" plates - 03/09/07 08:30 PM
Mike, do Aussie flush-mount devices fit British boxes or the American-type 2" x 4" box?

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 03-09-2007).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: "press on" plates - 03/09/07 09:22 PM
Sven,
Do Aussie flush-mount devices fit British boxes or the American-type 2" x 4" box?

Actually as far as I know, niether.
The standard flushbox here has a "between centres" distance of 188mm, between the mounting screw threads:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: "press on" plates - 03/10/07 02:08 AM
Here is a closeup of the sockets on my bench. Six duplex-types, installed on American surface-mount boxes.
https://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/stephanienyc/MVC-001F.jpg?t=1173491173

They're made in Korea and come in two parts that are sold separately: the socket itself, and the plate kit (which consists of a bracket that screws onto the socket and then the finishing bezel that snaps onto that).

I bought six of these when I was visiting a friend there two years ago...and later I asked her to buy me 10 more.

This is what a socket looks like when you buy it at the store:
https://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/stephanienyc/MVC-004F.jpg

First you wire and install the socket in the box (6-32 screws not included). Then you screw on the plastic ring in the middle. Then you snap on the plate, which is on the left. Little tabs in the back of the plate hook into those six rectangular holes along the sides of the ring.

If one of the mods can put the pix on ECN's server, that would probably make things easier. And yes, yes. The installation method does look a little sketchy. [Linked Image]
Posted By: gfretwell Re: "press on" plates - 03/10/07 06:12 AM
Not using a cable between the boxes?
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: "press on" plates - 03/10/07 06:23 AM
No. None of this is "up to code" for sure.

I could technically have used bits of Romex (the sockets are all back-stab types so you need solid wire), but the stuff is hard to find in New York (since code requires BX)....and when you do, you have to buy complete rolls of it. So I opted for using lengths of THHN #12 solid.

If you really wanna ream me, the cables feeding each row of three is #14 flex. Yup...just basic extension cord terminated to plugs that go to a wall socket behind the bureau. [Linked Image]

I figured, it's a workbench and I'm the only one who uses it....and even so, it's still a step up over the #18 gauge zip cord with chintzy surface-mount recepts that I had originally.

I might re-do things in a few years, if I manage to get some good condition Romex leftovers somewhere.

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 03-10-2007).]
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: "press on" plates - 03/10/07 12:03 PM
Back in March 2006, [edit; exactly 1 year to the day!], I posted some info on French LeGrande "Mosaic" recept.s with press on plates -
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum5/HTML/001168.html

Alan

[This message has been edited by Alan Belson (edited 03-10-2007).]
Posted By: gfretwell Re: "press on" plates - 03/10/07 08:59 PM
Sven, I can send you a few feet of Romex if you want. I save stuff like that [Linked Image]
Email me an address gfretwell@aol.com

[This message has been edited by gfretwell (edited 03-10-2007).]
Posted By: 32VAC Re: "press on" plates - 03/12/07 07:47 AM
Australian plate sizes are 115 x 73mm with 84mm mounting centres.

American outlets fit into these dimensions as I have mounted Leviton 5225 combination switch/sockets onto Clipsal "154" series plaster clips or "449A" mounting blocks with no modification needed. laugh
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: "press on" plates - 03/12/07 08:19 PM
Sven, I can send you a few feet of Romex if you want. I save stuff like that
Email me an address gfretwell@aol.com
Hey!! That's awesome! smile smile Thanks!!! I'll email you.
© ECN Electrical Forums