ECN Forum
Posted By: kyelectric Damp or wet location lay in fixtures? - 12/28/06 02:44 AM
I am installing 2x4 lay in flourescent fixtures in a large company bathroom with a changing area and large walk in shower. The hanging ceiling installer went right into the shower area with the hanging ceiling and left me holes to install the 2x4 lay in fixtures there too. Is it ok to install these in the shower area or do they have to be a specific light fixture approved for a wet location?
Posted By: power one Re: Damp or wet location lay in fixtures? - 12/28/06 03:19 AM
I believe you need fixtures that are vapor proof. They have a weather tight seal around the lens.
Posted By: Obsaleet Re: Damp or wet location lay in fixtures? - 12/28/06 04:53 AM
I used wet location listed flourescents 2x4 lay in a bathroom in a girls school. They look just like lay ins but have foam gaskets. They were a stock item at my 1 supplier.

Ob
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Damp or wet location lay in fixtures? - 12/28/06 05:12 AM
How high are they? If it is over 8' I think they are out of the zone. It is still not a bad idea to find something damp rated tho, just for the next guy who has to fix them when they corrode. I do believe is is a design issue above 8', not a code issue.
© ECN Electrical Forums