ECN Forum
Posted By: wendel Copper Wire Nuts? - 12/16/06 12:30 AM
Does anyone know where one can buy copper or stainless steel wirenuts? How about copper or SS quick-connect connectors? I have many outdoor lighting connections that deteriorate in months due to the steel wirenuts. Thanks for any help.
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Copper Wire Nuts? - 12/16/06 12:46 AM
brass or copper split bolts wrapped in rubber tape and super 88 would be my best bet, unless you want to get the silicone filled wirenuts for direct burial
Posted By: JoeTestingEngr Re: Copper Wire Nuts? - 12/16/06 02:41 AM
Have you tried any of the waterproof wirenuts that come with a sealing compound in them? Our UST sensors come with a 2 part epoxy kit. We mix, snip one end, stick the wire nutted connections in, and cable tie around the base. It hardens rubbery so it can be cut into later. If you check the terminals catalog at www.terminalsupplyco.com , you will find several adhesive lined shrink and other insulated connections.
Joe
Posted By: Rewired Re: Copper Wire Nuts? - 12/16/06 06:39 PM
What about putting a lil' NO-ALOX or DE-OX paste on your connections and in the wire nuts??? I have tried doing that with positive results.
A.D
Posted By: winnie Re: Copper Wire Nuts? - 12/17/06 01:15 AM
Ideal sells 'set screw wire connectors'. These have a brass sleeve with a brass set screw on the side. You insert the wires into the sleeve, and tighten the set screw. Then the whole thing screws into a plastic cap.

I think that the other approaches mentioned (sealing the wire-nut) would work better than leaving an exposed splice, no matter what the materials.

-Jon
Posted By: Active 1 Re: Copper Wire Nuts? - 12/17/06 03:18 AM
The only wire nuts I remeber having a copper insert are the yellow ones that come with a Guardian air cooled generator. There top noch nuts and you get 10-12 per unit. How many generator units do you want me to order for ya? If you wanted to save on freight I could keep the generators and just ship the nuts (I still would have to charge you for the whole generator package).
Posted By: Active 1 Re: Copper Wire Nuts? - 12/27/06 05:37 AM
Found a manufacture listing for your copper coated wire nuts.
http://www-public.tnb.com/ps/pubint/index.cgi?a=get_sub&cid=42

Click on the wire nut link
Posted By: wendel Re: Copper Wire Nuts? - 12/27/06 06:38 PM
Many thanks, Active 1. Perfect nuts!
Posted By: RobbieD Re: Copper Wire Nuts? - 12/28/06 02:00 AM
LOL, did you do the squeeze test. lol
Posted By: Active 1 Re: Copper Wire Nuts? - 12/28/06 02:02 AM
Let me know if you find an online seller for these. I wouldn't mind tring em. Just don't want to go thru the hassle of having my supplier getting some.
Posted By: wendel Re: Copper Wire Nuts? - 12/29/06 04:55 PM
If you go to this page: http://www-public.tnb.com/ and look at the upper right hand tabs you'll see Distributor. Click that tab and in the next screen use the second way (T&B Distributor Listing) to get distributors within your zip.
Posted By: wendel Re: Copper Wire Nuts? - 12/29/06 05:41 PM
Update. None of the distributors carry the T&B wire nuts. I had to do a special order for the 335C (8 to 18 gauge). The smallest quantity seems to be the cards (6 per card) with a 20 card minimum order @ ~1.30 per card.
Posted By: iwire Re: Copper Wire Nuts? - 12/29/06 05:50 PM
Wendel are these connectors listed for wet locations?
Posted By: wendel Re: Copper Wire Nuts? - 12/29/06 07:13 PM
These are connectors with copper coated springs inside. They are the best I have found when dealing against outdoor corrosion. http://www-public.tnb.com/contractor/docs/marrette.pdf
Posted By: iwire Re: Copper Wire Nuts? - 12/29/06 08:55 PM
What I am trying to say is wirenuts may not be the proper connector for the location regardless of the internal material.
Posted By: wendel Re: Copper Wire Nuts? - 12/30/06 01:10 AM
I can only say every connection I have ever come across is a steel spring wirenut that's usually totally rusted. My goal is to improve on what seems to be accepted practice of using wire nuts for low voltage outdoor circuits.
Posted By: Luketrician Re: Copper Wire Nuts? - 12/30/06 02:23 AM
Ideal sells 'set screw wire connectors'. These have a brass sleeve with a brass set screw on the side. You insert the wires into the sleeve, and tighten the set screw. Then the whole thing screws into a plastic cap.

Yeah, I'm familiar with those, used them alot in class1 div 1 locations...
Posted By: e57 Re: Copper Wire Nuts? - 12/30/06 07:30 AM
Are these for direct burial? Even in salty air theses do great. http://www.kinginnovation.com/pro-dryconn.html

Although I'm not fond of the comparitively weak plastic cap for the nut - as it is essentiallty just a container of silicone with a spring connector in it, and if a brute like me, they can crush in your hand... But they do work well for the purpose. For the longest time they were the only patent holders for this type of application. Now a few others are making them too. Havent use these yet though... http://www.idealindustries.com/wt/TwistOnWireConnectors.nsf
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Copper Wire Nuts? - 12/30/06 04:52 PM
I've used the King wirenuts for repairs in underground Christy boxes on parking lot lights , and they've held up really well [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums