ECN Forum
Posted By: wendel 240 to 120 Volt Step-down Transformer - 12/07/06 09:35 PM
Would someone recommend a step-down transformer for going from 240 volts to 120 volts that's reasonably priced. I only need about 10 amps on the 120 volt side.
Posted By: earlydean Re: 240 to 120 Volt Step-down Transformer - 12/07/06 10:17 PM
Is your load variable or constant?

If it is constant, hook it in series with the right size resistor (or an identical load).
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: 240 to 120 Volt Step-down Transformer - 12/07/06 11:01 PM
Couldn't you just reconfigure the termination points inside the panel?
Posted By: JBD Re: 240 to 120 Volt Step-down Transformer - 12/07/06 11:45 PM
that's reasonably priced

Reasonably priced for the seller is often not the same $$$ as for the buyer.
Posted By: Jps1006 Re: 240 to 120 Volt Step-down Transformer - 12/08/06 01:01 AM
Your not using this to minmize voltage drop for your saw are you?
Posted By: wendel Re: 240 to 120 Volt Step-down Transformer - 12/08/06 01:28 AM
Jps1006, that's exactly what I want to do. I have 240 volts available on the exterior of the house with long distances for tree trimming. I've fried a few saw motors already even being kind as far as letting them cool after a minute of use. I attribute my woes to too much current draw due to low voltage(120) at the end of the 100 foot extension chord and who knows how many receptical hops inside the house with all connections being push-in, not screwed. Am I crazy?
Posted By: Rewired Re: 240 to 120 Volt Step-down Transformer - 12/08/06 11:11 PM
Um, what kind of saw / motor is it?

I do understand where you are coming from in regards to voltage drop just through the house wiring "receptacle hops"...
My neighbour can NOT start his air compressor in his garage on the best of days... Lights dim, motor hums and the breaker trips ( yes its an FPE also [Linked Image]). Neighbour on the other side tried my electric pressure washer with similar results. Both times they were plugged in at the end of a 14 gauge circuit that was at the opposide end of the house from the panel and picked up a multitude of outlets with connections "under the screws" I might add in its 18 mile travel path around the house... Plug either of those motors into the outlet I have on the side of this house, opposite to where the service is and the ONLY outlet on the circuit, wired with #12 and these motors start and run without any problem, even if they are plugged into a cord..

So No I dont think your crazy, the wiring inside your house may not be helping either!

A.D
How about using a 10 gauge extension cord plugged in as close to the panel as possible?
© ECN Electrical Forums