ECN Forum
My client wants to replace an existing radiator cooled 100KW E/G with an air-cooled unit. The purchase and installation was to take place in 2007. As it turns out, no air-cooled engine manufacturer will be able to deliver such an engine in 2007 because the manufacturers have not met EPA's Tier 3 requirements that become effective Jan 2007.

For me, this has caused some problems. But for you, I thought you might find it interesting. I'd think the EPA and manufacturers would be able to work things out in a timely fashion so this interruption would not have occurred.
So does this mean that the little Vespa and Yamaha motor-scooters are also "illegal"? [Linked Image]
I don't see how it will even be possible to find an air cooled unit to "replace" to replace something along the lines of 100 Kw. The largest air cooled unit I've seen is a 16 Kw Generac - and that's pushing it for an air cooled.

I haven't heard anything about any new EPA requirements for air-cooled gensets, so I really can't comment... other than to say the EPA won't be happy unit we're using candlelight and riding bicycles.

Can you provide a link about this?

Joe
When you consider that the vast bulk of engine-generators are used for backup purposes, and generally only run for a few hours each year, one is tempted to wonder what difference at all it makes what the emissions are of said engine?
There are new EPA requirements for engines that take effect in Jan 2007.
Many manufacturers have already began to manufacturer these models in 2006, as the lead time is pretty long for a new gen now a days.
The regulation is for engines manufactured date, not sold date.
They do not effect standby engines unless they operate outside of a standby role, like peak shaving or load curtailment for the utility.

[This message has been edited by Ron (edited 12-05-2006).]
This is only for heavy duty diesels from what I have read. It will not affect motor cycles, lawn mowers or small generators. I believe there are other rules that will get to them.
See below site for info http://www.cumminspower.com/www/literature/brochures/F-1598EPA-2Page.pdf
a 100kw generator that is air cooled? Never seen one. The brand I deal with has two options fro the 100 kw range: a ford 5.4 liter V-8 or a 6.8 liter V-10. both are liquid cooled and run on NG/LP.
Actually, I think the term is slightly a misnomer.

Radiator cooled refers to the type of cooling that is common in automobiles.

The air-cooled diesel engines are not like an air-cooled motorcycle engine that uses fins on the cylinders. Instead, I think they use internal jackets in the block, similar to water jackets, but circulate engine lubricating oil, instead of water or antifreeze. The lubricating oil is then circulated to an oil cooler that is cooled with air flow from a fan.

I don't know why they are not called oil-cooled!!

I've seen "air-cooled" E/G up to 150KW.
© ECN Electrical Forums