ECN Forum
This is for the design of a new 100KW, 277-480V engine-generator installation. The E/G will be mounted on a reinforced concrete pad. The pad will contain rebar grounding, and a buried ground ring with a ground rod at each corner. A chain-link fence will encircle the pad. There is nothing electrical mounted on, or near the fence. As far as I can see, the fence cannot become energized from the E/G equipment.

Do you recommend connecting the fence to the grounding electrode system for the generator/pad?

If yes, what is your recommended procedure? Should each post have a bolted connection to the grounding system?

Thanks for your input.
You did not state enough info but the fence most likely should be BONDED. My thought. Rod
On the job you described, we have a professional engineer, supply the plans with a detail of all the bonding, this is a design issue.
I know that if I was the guy inside the fence, working on the genny, and could touch both, I would feel better knowing they're bonded.
Joe
If it was a HV substation, it would be bonded, just so everything's at equipotential.

I doubt the fenc e is "likely to be energized" unless you have OH wiring or other hazards. But nothing is impossible. You have to decide if it's improbable.

If I was doing it, I'd ground it!
© ECN Electrical Forums