ECN Forum
Posted By: CRM Edwards QS4 Fire Alarm System - 11/26/06 01:17 AM
I have to wire a Edwards QS4 system. I've been reading the manual, but I am unsure how to wire the sprinkler flow switches and the tamper switches on the valves. I'm going to have an addressable loop feeding the pull stations and heat detectors. Would I wire the flow switches in with the other devices and program them separate at the panel? And what about the tamper switches? Has anybody wired this system before? Thanks for any help.
Posted By: Rewired Re: Edwards QS4 Fire Alarm System - 11/26/06 06:06 AM
When I did the system at the retirement home we had a similar thing. Addressable system but we had to incorporate valves and flow / pressure switches into the system. There was a little "interface" kind of device that wired between your loop and the switch, what device was actually called I can't remember off the top of my head, but the device was wired into the loop like any other device, was powered off the loop and all you had to do is wire the contacts of your switch to it, set its address and program it in.
BTW in the building we did, there was one loop per floor and in the case of the ground floor this loop served ALL devices on that floor, pull stations, smokes, heats, and all the sprinkler flow / pressure/ tamper switches were on this loop but were programmed in as different "zones" as required. Tamper and pressure switches were programmed to show "trouble" and were wired in the same method as flow switches. Incidentaly it was a Simplex system but I am sure the edwards is similar.

A.D

[This message has been edited by Rewired (edited 11-26-2006).]
Posted By: iwire Re: Edwards QS4 Fire Alarm System - 11/26/06 10:41 AM
I mean no offense but if your not familiar with the fire alarm codes and standard procedures you really should not be the one doing the programing.

We have the people who supply the system do the programing. A small mistake in programing can result in a system that does not work as it should.

The device needed to interface the addressable loop and dry contacts is usually referred to as a 'monitor module' but each maker calls them different names.

Like all things electrical there are many ways to get it done.

Lately we install separate modules (address's) for each flow and each tamper, that way you can get very specific info on the display screen.

For example

ALARM Sprinkler Flow South Stair Floor 2

Or

SUPERVISORY Tamper South Stair Floor 2

By the way, Siemens for instance sells a dual address monitor module which is perfect for one flow and one tamper. I am not sure if Edwards makes a dual unit.

You also will likely need output modules to control things like elevator recall and or smoke evac systems.

Good luck and keep asking questions, I like fire alarm work, it is a nice break from lights and plugs.

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 11-26-2006).]
Posted By: iwire Re: Edwards QS4 Fire Alarm System - 11/26/06 10:57 AM
Another issue to keep in mind.

Fire alarm system addressable devices, smokes, heats, pulls, modules etc. have limits to how cold they can get.

Do not install any addressable devices in unheated spaces, most have a low limit of about 40 F.

If you need to provide say, heat detectors or pulls in unheated space you will have to use conventional pulls or heat detectors wired back to a monitor module located in a heated space.
© ECN Electrical Forums