ECN Forum
Posted By: Lostazhell scratches in switchgear - 10/15/06 09:47 PM
Last Friday, we got in a couple sections of switchgear that had scuffmarks in the paint on the front doors as something might've been rubbing on them in transit.. Anyone have some tips on getting them out? I thought about using car wax or something similar to lessen their appearance..
Posted By: renosteinke Re: scratches in switchgear - 10/15/06 10:17 PM
Well, "old timers| would use "rubbing compound," followed by "polishing compound," to restore the appearance where the scratch did not go through the paint.

Myself, I cheat. I take off the panel, and get a spray can as close a match as I can.
Posted By: e57 Re: scratches in switchgear - 10/15/06 11:06 PM
Are the scratches down to metal? If so paint is the only option. If not, a quick rubbing of Goof-off on a rag. But take this caveat... I had a Land lord once say this to me and my wife (girl-friend at the time). "If you spill something on the floor, or any where else - spread it around so it all matches."
Posted By: Tom Re: scratches in switchgear - 10/15/06 11:22 PM
Most gear manufacturers offer spray cans of touch up paint. If you can't wait for your supplier to order a can & get it in, you can take one of the covers to some auto parts stores (I use NAPA here in the Mountain State) and they can mix an exact match in a spray can for you.
Posted By: PEdoubleNIZZLE Re: scratches in switchgear - 10/16/06 01:27 AM
Just a quick warning about the Goof Off: Keep it away from plastic and latex paint (although it's handy for cleaning up unwanted drips of latex paint.)

Goof off will chemically melt plastics, especially soft plastics.

For scuffmarks on metal, Goof Off is great. You can also try Mr. clean Magic eraser.

I'm not sure where you can buy it, but there's a company that makes a product called "fixture paint." this is what Lowes uses to spray paint their shelves when they get dirty. (I know it's available in white and gray, but I'm not sure of any other color.)

[This message has been edited by PEdoubleNIZZLE (edited 10-15-2006).]
© ECN Electrical Forums