ECN Forum
Posted By: resqcapt19 flat wire - 01/03/02 04:06 AM
Has anyone seen or used this stuff? http://www.decorp.com/deProducts.shtml
Please note that the page is very slow to load...took about 20 seconds on a DSL line.
I sent them an e-mail about 6 weeks ago asking about listings and NEC complaince. Never got an answer.
Don(resqcapt19)
Posted By: George Corron Re: flat wire - 01/03/02 11:54 PM
Don,
Considering the driven watts of some of the new systems.....it looks a bit worrisome to me. Bendable ? Flexible ? and paper thin ? doesn't sound like a good combination. I did not read every word of the site, but.... a company that does not want to discuss its approvals? Yeah, I'd say you got your answer.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: flat wire - 01/04/02 12:20 AM
Don,

It doesn't sound like it could be approved for 120v wiring without additional protection. Did you see that it was in the running for the Popular Science 'Best of What's New' for 2001 award?
http://www.popsci.com/bown/home_46_flatwire.html
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: flat wire - 01/04/02 01:13 AM
It doesn't look like a very safe product. It sure doesn't have the protection that is required for flat conductor cable (Article 328).
Posted By: Dallas Re: flat wire - 01/04/02 04:17 AM
Well, the LV stuff looks kinda OK, except the phone wire is rated only Cat 3. I might install someone I knew's speaker wires like that, but electrical wiring mounted on the wall and painted over? That smells like it has lawsuit written all over it. Where did you come across this, Don? Did you see it in use, or what?

Dallas

[This message has been edited by Dallas (edited 01-03-2002).]
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: flat wire - 01/04/02 01:23 PM
I haven't seen the product, just an article or add. It might have been in the Popular Science article that bill mentioned.
Has anyone seen it in a store?
Don(resqcapt19)
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: flat wire - 01/04/02 03:17 PM
We will probably see a Proposal for the 2005 NEC requesting a new article. I also would have some problems with the product, especially after the wallpaper and paint covered the product.

" FlatWire
mounts right onto a wall and can be covered
with paint or wallpaper, just like drywall tape."

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 01-07-2002).]
Posted By: rbiro Re: flat wire - 01/04/02 04:36 PM
All it needs is adequate thermal and physical protection and it will be fine. Otherwise you have to worry about someone driving a nail through it when trying to hang a picturen or all the fires that will be started when someone foolishly uses wall paper not rated to 90C.
Posted By: mamills Re: flat wire - 01/04/02 05:03 PM
Hi, Don.
In the article, it asks the question, "Are you tired of hundred-year-old wiring technology?" My answer to this is a firm NO! I would much rather put trust in a time-tested, PROVEN method of wiring, executed by a professional electric contractor. In the hands of a DIY'er, I think this could have disastrous consequences.

I believe this trades safety for convenience and speed of installation. I think that's a bad trade.

Would somebody gently help me down from my soapbox now... [Linked Image]

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: sparky Re: flat wire - 01/05/02 12:44 AM
Mike,
don't get down yet, say a few words about all the manufacturer's that try and zoom the NEC for thier own $$$$ please.... [Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: flat wire - 01/06/02 07:27 PM
Not only are the electrons going to become confused by the insulation color coding, but now they have to lose some weight to squeeze through the pancake wire.
Posted By: rbiro Re: flat wire - 01/07/02 03:43 AM
I've been reading the web site. I'm guessing that they are going to claim the thing wire is safe because all the circuits have a GFCI on them and the layout of the wires is probably Hot-Ground-Neutral, so you cannot but a nail or screw into them without causing a ground fault and cutting off the circuit.

The things to consider are stables that could easily cause a high resistance short between hot and neutral. It would also be possible to drive one nail into the hot and one into the neutral when hanging a picture. Another good way to get a high resistance short.

I don't see how this flat wire can be safe unless the plastic coating is bullet proof.
Posted By: electure Re: flat wire - 01/07/02 12:55 PM
I've used something much like this as a part of a LV "tapelight" display lighting. Block Buster Video used to have them in their stores. All they powered were LED's at + or - 12VDC for chase lighting effects.
I wouldn't trust this stuff for any use above that. The thought of 20A @ 120V running through something like this makes me cringe. [Linked Image]
Posted By: mamills Re: flat wire - 01/07/02 03:52 PM
Hi, Sparky.
With apologies to Don for going on a slight tangent...
One item I have seen on occasion which scares the #^$&*#$& out of me are devices such as duplex receptacles and light switches which either have been, or are still being used, in mobile home construction. These devices are made all-in-one (device and cover plate as one piece). The romex wires are laid into a channel on the back of the device, where a contact "pinches" through the wire insulation to reach the conductor inside. Then this whole thing is simply attached to a hole cut in the wall. What can be more convenient than this...practically no tools involved, no box required, and works MOST of the time [Linked Image]. I saw a friend attempt to unplug a kitchen appliance from one of these things, whereupon the entire device, cable and all popped out of the wall into his hand [Linked Image].

Kinda elevates the "back-stab" devices to a higher level (but I don't want to beat that dead horse any more...).

Rbiro has a good point to make about the staples and nails. It creates a situation that may not "show itself" right away, but beware...

Mike (mamills)
© ECN Electrical Forums