ECN Forum
Posted By: Theelectrikid ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/03/06 09:38 PM
Okay fess up, what do you like listening to while working in the salt mine- I mean, clients' house/building/skyscraper/HV tower/whatever?

Personally, I like listening to the cult band REM, with The Police, Bachman Turner Overdrive, The Dire Straits, and Cream coming in a close 2nd through 5th. (Hey I never said it had to be one.) [Linked Image]

Ian A.
Posted By: livetoride Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/03/06 10:20 PM
You have a good start. Throw in Skynard,Allman bro.,Dr Hook,and the like and you have music to work by. More Blues at the end of the day to wind down. Rod
Posted By: iwire Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/03/06 10:29 PM
I don't have a favorite although I listen to most of the above.Since I changed Internet service providers I have a huge choice of music available.

This weekend I was listening to some 1930s blues, some Hank Williams and at any moment I might really enjoy a mindless Kiss song.

It all depends on the mood, old Blues in the background while I check the forums seems to fit well.

Bob
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/03/06 11:02 PM
Anything country.....getting old I guess.

However, A good blast of Judas Priest, and Oz now and then coupled with some AC/DC is never out of the question.

Favorite band? Floyd.
Posted By: Zapped Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/03/06 11:36 PM
I like WAY too many bands and types of music to list, but here's something:

I've got a toy that I love, and it's great, no matter what you like to listen to - Sirius Satellite Radio.

The kit comes with two antennas, a car power adapter and an AC adapter. I keep one rig in my car, and then the AC and antenna rig set up at a job I might be on for a while. In the morning, I just pull the receiver out of my truck and plug it in at the job site. Nothing like it - no commercials on the music stations at all, and about 100 different stations that cover every type of music you can imagine. Also, if you can get away with it on a particular job site, they have Howard Stern and comedy stations too - unedited.

Highly recommended...
Posted By: capt al Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/03/06 11:42 PM
iwire, you need to throw some Pink Floyd & Green Day in the mix to remind us of our good buddy Frank & Beans.

Al
Posted By: electure Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/03/06 11:58 PM
Blues, Blues, or Blues is fine with me.
I also like Zappa, Steve Vai.

Weird Al, Pinkard & Bowden, and other parodies rank high.

And....oh, yes. I have collected some of the worst music imaginable, Heavy metal by Pat Boone, William Shatner's horrible stuff, etc.; this with the help and guidance of some of my ECN friends [Linked Image]
As odd as this may sound I prefer no raido at all. Some other people like the darn thing so loud I cant even hear myself think. There is a time and place for music. I consider work not one of them. If its low I tolerate it. For me no music.
Posted By: walrus Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/04/06 12:38 AM
This is a must of me most years. Johnny Winter on the coast of Maine rules www.northatlanticbluesfestival.com

Stevie Ray, Santana, Steely Dan, Alman Bros, Led Zep come to mind
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/04/06 12:40 AM
Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Yes, Rush, Jefferson Airplane, Peter Gabriel-era Genesis.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/04/06 01:28 AM
I jump around a lot. There are about 500 songs on the MP3 in my car, everything from Aerosmith to Eminem to the Muppets. I am listening to a lot of blues these days. Keb'Mo' and Eva Cassidy seem to be popping up a lot in my playlist but you can't forget BB King.
Next month we are going to see Toby Kieth at the Germain Arena so I do have eclectic tastes.
Posted By: Elviscat Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/04/06 02:20 AM
Social Distortion, Pink Floyd, and I band I bet no one has ever heard of, VNV Nation
Posted By: wa2ise Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/04/06 03:16 AM
What, no AC/DC? [Linked Image]
Posted By: gfretwell Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/04/06 03:33 AM
Brian Johnson (AC/DC) lives out on the beach near here. We see him around from time to time.
Posted By: Minuteman Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/04/06 03:50 AM
Third Day, Audio Adrenaline, D.C. Talk, Jeremy Camp, F.F.H., News Boys, Big Daddy Weave, Michael W. Smith, Steven Curtis Chapman, MercyMe, David Crowder Band, Todd Agnew, Phillips Craig and Dean.
Posted By: tkb Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/04/06 09:09 AM
I like to much to list, but I can tell you what I don't like though.

Rap, Techno, and anything not in english.

I also hat the battling radios on a job. I am sure that this is one of the reasons that most of the jobs we work on have a no radio policy.
Posted By: russ m Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/04/06 10:00 AM
Group, Fleetwood Mac

Singer, Roy Orbison "nobody sings like Roy"
Posted By: Eddy Current Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/04/06 10:30 AM
Last friday I took my 12yr old daughter to her first rock concert. The Red Hot Chilli Peppers! She loved it.
Other bands I like; Herbalizer, 311, Beck, etc. I listened to classic rock all my life but lately I can't do it. I guess I'm a little bored of it, heard it too much. All we get on the radio around here is classic rock so I don't listen to it. I want to enjoy those classic songs one day again but listening to the same songs day after day after day. Drives me nuts!
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/04/06 11:29 AM
Aerosmith and Kiss are my big two favorites. I've seen them both in concert nearly 40 times each and have an extensive bootleg CD collection too. I used to be a whole heckuva lot more into it than I am now, though.
Posted By: tseeba Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/04/06 03:08 PM
Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, John Petrucci, Eric Johnson, Marty Friedman and numerous other guitar gods. Iron Maiden when the mood is right. Generally, I don't like any singing, it just takes away from the instruments.
Posted By: XtheEdgeX Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/04/06 03:48 PM
Favorite : Alter Bridge

Also listen to Creed, Disturbed, Submersed...
Posted By: Rewired Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/04/06 09:22 PM
Van Morrison.. Fleetwood Mac, Steeley Dan, Pink Floyd, Eric Clapton, Neil Young.... List goes on.. and on.
A.D
Posted By: Tom H Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/04/06 10:20 PM
Show of Hands for....

RUSH

I've got more bootleg material for them than actual albums...
Posted By: Zapped Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/04/06 11:42 PM
Here's a couple guesses:

tseeba plays guitar

Tom H plays drums

(I played in a few bands back in the day...guitar) Steve Vai fan as well!
Posted By: StarTrek Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/05/06 01:58 AM
AC/DC, Motorhead, Manowar, Iron Maiden...anything hard and loud.

Nothing beats listening to good Hard Rock at ear-splitting volume - thank God my house has thick, solid walls!
Posted By: e57 Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/05/06 02:24 AM
Minor Threat , and The Orb. I'm actually pretty eclectic, and will listen to just about anything....

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 10-04-2006).]
Posted By: Nick Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/05/06 03:34 AM
Anything where the musicians have talent. Thats usually blues & jazz and excludes a whole bunch of rock bands that I like any way for some reason. I am still a metal head at heart but my all time favorite is Frank Zappa. Most of his stuff from about 1970 on is great. The different CD's of live stuff from the '88 tour is the best.
I'm sure you Steve Vai fans know that Frank gave him his start. He was a member of his band from about '79-'81. He still shows for reunion and tribute shows.
Posted By: Tom H Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/05/06 06:06 PM
Actually I'm a bass player.
Posted By: mxslick Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/05/06 06:43 PM
Metallica (The S&M concert) (No, it's not what you guys are thinking.) They played with the San Fran Symphony, it was great. A wonderful way to break in a new sound system! It is because of their song, "Nothing Else Matters" that I've been working on a novel for the last three years.

Also like Rush, ELO, Derek and The Dominoes ("Layla"), Europe, STP, Ozzy, GnR, .....

Too many favs to list here.

Generally, though, when clients are around, I tend to play soft rock and some classical. I hate having radio on site, the commercials and DJ prattle gets really annoying.
Posted By: tseeba Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/05/06 08:02 PM
You're right, I play guitar. What gave it away? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/05/06 09:16 PM
My favorite has to be Slayer, although I like almost any speed metal band. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/05/06 09:25 PM
Here is the Non-US version of this thread, from a few years ago. [Linked Image]

https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000522.html
Posted By: Roger Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/05/06 10:02 PM
I've been trying to put them all together since Ian started this, but I could never mention all so here are a few {BTW, I listen to a wide range of music)

The Beatles of course, I remember seeing their first performance in the US on the Ed Sullivan Show.

Allman Bros, Moody Blues, Yes, Al Dimeola, John McLaughlin, Steve Morse, Weather Report, Billy Cobham, Stanley Clark, Rickie Lee Jones, The Dregs, Eric Clapton, John Mayall, Savoy Brown, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Kate & Anna McGarrigle, Kate Bush, Joanie Mitchel, Emmylou Harris, and more.

It would be impossible for me to actually come up with a favorite.

Roger
Posted By: walrus Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/05/06 10:37 PM
Savoy Brown, thats a blast from the past, I have some Vinyl of theirs.
Stanley Clarke is one kick butt bassist. Early Chick Corea, with Clarke, Flora Purim is awesome. His Electric band stuff is awesome, I could care about his acoustic stuff
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/05/06 10:38 PM
My favourite Beatles track is 'Long Tall Sally'. Nearly as good as Little Richard's '56 masterpiece, which my Mad Cousin Norman first played to me as a callow 15 year old, [ coincidentally nearly driving my poor old Auntie Daisy doo-lally into the bargain!].

Beatles' version is 2m.03 long; the first and only take; no cuts and dubs and George note-and-soul perfect right through. Sadly missed, that man.

Of course, Pat Boone covered it too in '56 . Crap!

Alan
Posted By: LarryC Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/06/06 12:58 AM
Frank Sinatra, Frank Zappa, ZZ Top, both of the Vaughn brothers, Spike Jones, Lyle Lovett, Louis Prima, Allan Sherman, The motor city madman himself, George Thorogood, old Van Halen, Handel, Beethoven, Tom Waits, the Dorsey brothers, etc.

Mostly, music with a melody.
Posted By: master66 Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/06/06 02:22 AM
What? No country?
Posted By: Trumpy Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/06/06 06:23 AM
Personally I listen to a LOT of music.
Here is a sample of what I am listening to at the moment:
  • 1. Audioslave- Revelations
  • 2. The Killers- Sam's Town
  • 3. Tracey Chapman- Tracey Chapman
  • 4. Pearl Jam- Self-Titled Album
  • 5. Foo-Fighters- In Your Honor.

I have downloaded a lot of quiet, nice music to listen and relax to after I come home from work in the mornings, when I'm on night-shift.
Posted By: johno12345 Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/06/06 07:08 AM
I am currently into:
Taking Back Sunday
Lostprophets (good Welsh band there)
Funeral For a Friend (another good Welsh band)
Killers
Finch (now on hiatus)
And most stuff like the above.

I like different music at different places. I like allsorts at work, generally 80's. At home it is a bit noisier like the above. Live music, almost anything is good [Linked Image]
Posted By: BobbyHo Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/06/06 12:01 PM
Not one mention of the Stones. And not the stuff you hear on the radio all the time. I'm talking Exile on Main St. That is one of the best albums ever (Whoa I said album). Also right up there is Pink Floyd and Steely Dan. David Gilmour is the best guitarist going.
Posted By: Almost Fried Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/06/06 01:48 PM
My Baby Loves so much that she gave me Sirius for Christmas but I don't have the portable boombox so I can't take it on the job with me. Lately I have had several projects where I could park my truck close enough to listen.I cannot imagine going back to commercial radio.
Tom Waits, Gregg Brown, John Prine, Allison Krause, Iris Dement, Cate Brothers, anything with Levon Helm, Bob Dylan, Niel Young, Van, anything Blue, my all time fav. though is Bonnie Raitt. My newest disc: Ray Charles, "Genius Loves Company"

[This message has been edited by Almost Fried (edited 10-06-2006).]
Posted By: jbfan Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/06/06 03:58 PM
Jimmy Buffett, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Moody Blues, Toby Keith, Willie Nelson, Alabama, Talking Heads, Fleetwood Mac, ELO,
The Monkees, The Beach Boys.
Posted By: JoeTestingEngr Re: ECN Member's Favorite Band? - 10/07/06 01:20 AM
Eagles, Four Seasons, Beach Boys, Temps, Four Tops, Genesis, Miracles, Vogues, Association, America, James Taylor, Little River Band, George Bensen, Chet Atkins, Ramsey Lewis, Joe Sample, Spyra Gyra, Steely Dan, Anything with COWBELLS!

I think of favorite bands as being the ones that I have the most vinyl or CDs of or like to listen to all of. I would bet that many of my favorite songs are by "one hit wonders" or bands that I don't care for on average.
Joe
© ECN Electrical Forums