ECN Forum
Posted By: aldav53 Load controller - 09/10/06 03:35 PM
How does a load controller on a home work? We have the on-peak/off-peak hrs set up here on our meter.
Posted By: iwire Re: Load controller - 09/10/06 04:15 PM
Typically it is simply a time clock that shuts off power to certain appliances during peak usage hours.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Load controller - 09/10/06 05:00 PM
The FPL controllers are addressible so they can turn off the selected loads whenever they like. They do try to do a rolling blackout of the loads so you are not without A/C or hot water for long (typically 30 minutes or less at a time)
My mom had it and she says she never really had a problem.
Posted By: classicsat Re: Load controller - 09/12/06 01:35 AM
I have heard of it a number of ways.

One is with a cut rate off peak meter, which is activated through a pilot fed contactor, another just disables the loads on the normal metered service in peak times.

Recently, Toronto and some other cities have institused remote A/C disconnects, which turn off yours and many others A/C on radio command.

I have seen a load splitter, which allows you to selectivley feed a large heating load or other intermittent loads. It would give preference to the other loads, and disconnect the heater to let the other loads use the same power.
Posted By: IanR Re: Load controller - 09/12/06 12:54 PM
Concerning the FPL load controllers, I can say the system is completely transparent.
I have had it on my water heater and A/C for the last 15 years or so and have never noticed it's operation. I do notice the discount they give me on my power bill though.

{Edited, cuz I kant spel}

[This message has been edited by IanR (edited 09-12-2006).]
© ECN Electrical Forums