ECN Forum
Posted By: kojunho q-tran transformers?? - 07/10/06 06:57 AM
has anyone heard of q-tran transformers. me and my boss were discussing lighting a supermarket sign and this customer comes up and asked if we wanted to buy brand new in the box transformers. they are made by q-tran. we never heard of them. he ahd 10 of them and was gonna sell them cheap. anybody know how much they would be worth?? are they worth buying??
Posted By: Tom H Re: q-tran transformers?? - 07/10/06 09:37 AM
I have installed over 150 of them, and specified about 20 of that number myself. I think they are great LV transformers.

Pros
1. When installed correctly, they produce little or no audible noise
2. thru the latest design batches, they are easy to wire
3. some come with a voltage tap range from 11 to 15 volts to handle all sorts of voltage drop issies.
4. Can be oredered with different number of load side breakers.

Cons

1. Expensive, depending upon your needs
2. Take up more space than the equivelant load size plate transformer.
3. Certain dimmers cause them to hum, solution to use LV dimmers or dimmers with neutrals [typical of all sorts of other transformers]
www.q-tran.com

As far as cost goes, they can get very pricey, depends on what type ordered, VA, # loads etc. Most consumers don't know enough to care when cost comes into play, so they may be a hard sell to a budget wary individual.

As long as they are not stolen, I would consider it.

Oops on the web address, sad thing is I know the owner of the company to.

[This message has been edited by Tom H (edited 07-10-2006).]

[This message has been edited by Tom H (edited 07-10-2006).]
Posted By: e57 Re: q-tran transformers?? - 07/10/06 11:43 AM
Ditto PRICEY! As far as price, get the model and call around for pricing. Dont be surpised if it is well over $500! (For one of thier larger ones)

I believe this is a more accurate website for them.... (Although both in CT they appear to be different companies??) http://www.q-tran.com/

They also make custom transformers for many recessed can manufacturers now.

While on the subject of high end transformers... Semper Fi Power Supply These guys also make some fantastic product..... About equaly $$$$$ Reps for them are always very helpfull....

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 07-10-2006).]
Posted By: earlydean Re: q-tran transformers?? - 07/10/06 01:52 PM
Watch out for low priced goods like that.
They are most likely stolen.
A friend of mine offered me a cheap TV, years ago. At the time I was on a "No TV in my house - back to the basics" phase, so I said no thanks. He ends up doing 5 years in prison for receipt and sales of stolen goods.
© ECN Electrical Forums