ECN Forum
Posted By: Ryan Joseph Rebar Grounding Protection??? - 07/10/06 12:34 AM
Hello Everyone,

After a recent lightning storm in my neighborhood many of my neighbors and my family lost garage door openers, televisions, and computers. Thankfully I only lost my garage door opener! I had acceptable point of use surge protection…I think.

I’ve since upgraded my point of use surge protectors to 6000 joule models, installed a Siemens Surge Protector Breaker in my main panel, and also put a Cutler-Hammer Surge Trap at the point of entry that should help protect my phone line, cable TV line, and add a little more surge suppression to the Siemens unit in the main panel.

Now I want to upgrade my outdoor grounding system. My house is only 2 years old so I assume it has the standard minimal code requirement of a couple of rods with #4 copper wire connecting them via acorn bolts. I’d like to create a ground loop circling half the house with rods about 10 feet from each other off the same #4 copper.

Here’s my question: I have access to 1 inch rebar and I can get as much as I want for free. May I use this for my grounding rods at lengths of 6 feet each? Or should I go out to Home Depot and spend $7.00 for the copper rods they have there? Is rebar suitable for this sort of grounding application?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post!
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Rebar Grounding Protection??? - 07/10/06 01:24 AM
There is no requirement that the ground rods be store-bought, or listed. Finding 5/8 or 3/4 rebar might be a challenge, though, at the home centers.

Lightning is a specialty field, and I have no idea whether your efforts would accomplish anything.
Posted By: LK Re: Rebar Grounding Protection??? - 07/10/06 01:28 AM
First welcome, Ryan We try not to give advice to DIY, i can understand your concern, after your experience with, a near strike, there are codes, and standards for grounding electrode systems, more is not always better, but if you do extend it, get the proper material, and placement information.
© ECN Electrical Forums