ECN Forum
Just a quick question. Today 29 june we had a nasty storm in massachuttes. Well mass anyway. Do you guys work in a lightning storm? We stopped the overhead service change and all that was left was in the basement. Even though the POCO had dissconnected the power on Wed the boss called the customer and said we will be back on friday. I thought it was a good call ,but how do you other guys (and gals) call this one. I gave my boss a thumbs up for stopping the work but when do you people call a stop to work. Thanks also for the help on the bonding of the pool pump. Steve
Posted By: e57 Re: working in the rain and lightning storm - 06/30/06 02:07 AM
Yeah, OH service in the rain, not cool. Not that it cant be done, just not very comfy, and slightly less safe, lightning or not. Work inside OK, the chances of fire-balls flying out are slim, especially if the house has no connection to the rest of the world...
Posted By: GA76JW Re: working in the rain and lightning storm - 06/30/06 09:03 PM
Kind of the same here.

When we are working outside it seems even the slightest bit of sprinkling and JW's are ready to call it.

Most inside work keeps on going though. There's always something to do. I'm sure if it was severe like Tornados or heavy winds they may send us home, but I have yet to see that.
Will not work a service change if there is even a threat of serious rain within 6 hours of starting the job, unless the customer is willing to risk going a night without power. Doing the tie-in in the rain is simply too risky for my tastes.

Outside work like installing receptacles, fixtures, etc. I will do unless it is a serious downpour or involves working with hot wires (troubleshooting, etc.).

Inside work, no problem barring a hurricane or blizzard or something that might leave me stranded at the job site.

[This message has been edited by NJwirenut (edited 06-30-2006).]
Posted By: Jps1006 Re: working in the rain and lightning storm - 06/30/06 11:42 PM
Steve,

Didn't the boss check the weather the night before? I won't book a servcie change OH or UG if there is a threat of rain. Good call to job the job, but not too sure it was a good call to start it in he first place.
Posted By: electure Re: working in the rain and lightning storm - 07/01/06 12:50 AM
Throw a 4x8 sheet of plywood on the ground. If 6 drops of rain fall on it, go home.
(Not really [Linked Image])

We don't do any non-emergency work outdoors in the rain, and absolutely no work on anything energized.
(SoCA, lightning is rare)
Posted By: RODALCO Re: working in the rain and lightning storm - 07/01/06 09:04 AM
Same here in New Zealand, Any lightning nearby or in the area, all outside overhead LV and HV and substation work stops.

Can't take the risk if lightning strikes and junps across an ABS or hit the substation earthing rods and finds a strange way via a POCO worker to earth.
Posted By: iwire Re: working in the rain and lightning storm - 07/01/06 09:50 AM
Hi Steve I am also a MA guy.

I work for a big EC that has different divisions.

Service / smaller projects

Large projects

Voice Data work.

The Voice Data guys do not work in any harsh conditions, they are to delicate. [Linked Image]

The service work is usually undercover but we also get called out in storms to fix whatever needs fixing. Sometimes it gets pretty tough, ever try to tape up large splices in a heavy steady rain?

The large project guys (construction crews) work in all conditions other than lightning.

Burning hot, frigid cold, wind, rain, ice mud etc.

They get paid well but do not get paid for staying home because of rain.

Other than lightning the key is to take the time to buy the right clothes / gear for all conditions and have it with you in the car or truck.

I am in service / "small" projects [Linked Image] and I keep a full change of clothes with me. I could be out in the rain and mud in the mourning and heading to an upscale business in the afternoon.

Bob
Posted By: WFO Re: working in the rain and lightning storm - 07/01/06 01:25 PM
We don't glove the lines (i.e., work them hot)if the humidity is extremely high or drizzling. Otherwise, work is pretty much normal in rainy conditions (usually when we're busiest at a POCO). Lightning is pretty much the call of the lineman, but we often switch during storms to restore power.
Posted By: 32VAC Re: working in the rain and lightning storm - 07/01/06 04:34 PM
Alice Springs, NT, Australia:

Rain: No work outdoors, if power has to be run into the building (first/second fit), I down tools
High Humidity (80+ %), keep working if I feel it is safe to do so, otherwise, tools in the Hilux & I'm offsite
Lightning: Tools in ute, gone in a flash (no pun intended)
High winds/duststorm: get inside, let it pass, inside work continues if it does not interfere with the work going on

We get on average 200mm (8 inches) rain/year so the times it is a problem are rare to say the least & we work around that with the customer/s
Posted By: Sixer Re: working in the rain and lightning storm - 07/01/06 04:43 PM
Although lightening storms here are infrequent and generally not severe, I have a policy that during a lightening storm we won't work on any electrical equipment, phone or CATV that is connected. We always wait until the storm passes. As for rain - we have rain slickers and adjust the job according to the weather.
Brick masons rules apply.

Rule one
First drop of rain that hits me it is, “shame on mother nature”
Second drop of rain that hits me it is, “shame on me”

Rule two
Never work beside someone with an upset stomach as it may sound like thunder. At the first sound it is time to leave the job because the end result can be the same, a very unpleasant odor.
I asked my favorite builder. The rule on her jobs is if you work outside you get indoors when lightning starts banging. The concrete guys and masons will usually wait it out if it is just a summer storm. The sun might be shining in 20 minutes. Roofers, roof framers and screen cage guys usually go home. Inside work goes on like normal.
Posted By: trobb Re: working in the rain and lightning storm - 07/03/06 05:51 PM
I am not a lineman, but in my opinion I'd rather wait for the storm to pass before they re-connect my power if it fails. I can live for an hour or so, no need to put anyone in danger for no reason. Just my opinion.
© ECN Electrical Forums