ECN Forum
Posted By: sid123456 Generac Generator 100 amp ats - 06/08/06 11:25 PM
I have a 12 or 15 kw Generac generator to install. I has that quick install 100 amp ats, but the generator has a 65 amp breaker on it. I can't find the main breaker size anywhere. Is it 100amps? The ats is a 100 amps.
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: Generac Generator 100 amp ats - 06/08/06 11:34 PM
one thing about this genarac ATS it should have a main breaker in there kinda hidden in the mess.

just want to head up some inspectors want to actally see the breaker set up it can be pain in the butt.

for some ats some do labeled as " listed for servcie enternce " some dont if have main breaker it should be listed.

i dealt few generac generators few time and myself i am not crazy with Genrarc ATS because i feel little " cheesy " with this set up.

to find it you have to look at the breaker or contractor[s] and interlock beam there it should be there near bottom of ats set up

Merci , Marc

the other thing i overlook on this one if dont have main breaker in there you have to add one but please do check the generator dealer where you got this because there are few diffrent verison of ATS on this size

[This message has been edited by frenchelectrican (edited 06-08-2006).]
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: Generac Generator 100 amp ats - 06/09/06 06:12 PM
The current rating of an ATS refers to the maximum current it can carry through its contacts in any direction. If the main service is 100 amps, you're okay. If it's 150 or 200, you need a 200-amp ATS.

This has nothing to do with the rating of the generator's breaker; that's there to protect the generator from overload. If you attempt to use more current than the generator can produce, its breaker will trip.
Posted By: sid123456 Re: Generac Generator 100 amp ats - 06/09/06 08:35 PM
Thanks so much guys.... I understand now.
© ECN Electrical Forums