ECN Forum
Posted By: alienofwar Apprenticeship - 06/06/06 08:55 PM
Im looking to start a 1st year apprenticeship with the local IBEW union here in Edmonton and Im wondering what I might need to join? I have a few months of experience as a electrician helper at a commercial jobsite from a few years ago, but it was mainly pulling wires, installing electricial boxes and bending conduit. I also applied to a pre-trades electrician program at a technical school. What would be the better route, going straight into apprenticeship or taking some courses to prepare me? I don't know if Im prepared enough yet, since it didnt involve too many duties and it was a few years ago. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks [Linked Image]
Posted By: Able Re: Apprenticeship - 06/06/06 09:22 PM
I worked out of 424, currently with local 230 on Vancouver Island.
You must have your 1st year of schooling done. There are some exceptions like if your co. was organized then everbody's a member, and so on.
Do your 1st year through a pre ap. program, maybe consider doing it out west if SAIT and NAIT are really busy.
Posted By: alienofwar Re: Apprenticeship - 06/07/06 03:44 AM
Hey, thanks for the reply man. You get alot of work out there on Vancouver island? Thats a beautiful place to live, I envy you. Both schools are full already with their 1st year programs here but SAIT has a pre-trades program which prepares you for the 1st year and it's paid for by the gov't here. Ill probably go for that. Then try to join the union.
© ECN Electrical Forums