ECN Forum
Posted By: wv-wire-wrangler wide Boots - 06/03/06 06:28 AM
Hi,

I'm sorry to ask a question about boots here and if the moderaters want to delete it it's fine by me but if possible I need help finding extra wide work boots.

I am currently wearing Cabela's outfitter non-steel toe model 10 1/2 5E sized boots. They do not sell any boot that size with steel toes.

If I get into ANY trade work I am going to need steel toe boots. The problem is I can't find any in my size. I've looked in every store and website I can find but no go. I even checked with a foot doctor. He didn't know.

There has to be a few tradesmen out-there that have wide feet. Where do you by your boots?

I am wanting to get a regular leather pair and then a rubber pair. Both in steel toe.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Sam
Posted By: Celtic Re: wide Boots - 06/03/06 10:06 AM

If I get into ANY trade work I am going to need steel toe boots.

What makes you say that?

I've:
- dug ditches
- worked in manholes
- worked in buildings, homes and factories
- walked steel
- worked out of buckets and lifts
etc

...and have never used steel tipped shoes...and I see all ten little piggies every night.

I'm not saying don't get them, I'm just asking why you are so adamant about getting them?
Posted By: iwire Re: wide Boots - 06/03/06 10:51 AM
I have owned few steel toe shoes I just don't like them.

We work for a few customers that require toe protection and they lend us toe caps that strap over your normal boots.

[Linked Image from workingperson.com]

All that aside have you tried 'Red-wing' I have heard they have a lot of choices.
Posted By: walrus Re: wide Boots - 06/03/06 11:22 AM
Not only do I have wide feet but long also. As they say, big house, big foundation [Linked Image]. Red Wing can fit me in steel toes, I'm pretty sure they help you also.
Posted By: wv-wire-wrangler Re: wide Boots - 06/03/06 12:47 PM
Why do I so adamant about getting these?

My DAD. [Linked Image]

He told me that about 90% of jobsites and coal mines won't let you on site without them.

So, Do I need them?

I just never questioned his comment, I figured he knew ( though he's not in construction).

I'll check-out Redwing.

Thanks much fella's!!!

Sam
Posted By: George Corron Re: wide Boots - 06/03/06 12:58 PM
I have just the opposite problem. My feet are narrow. Check out the catalogs, nearly ALL advertisements are for medium and wide feet.

Redwing is about the only one I can get proper fitting shoes from.

Everywhere I work requires leather work boots, but not steel toes, it can be detrimental to electrical work, but there are tech toes.

Last time I hung around coal mines, though, it was steel caps and metatarsal protection as well.
Good luck.
Posted By: Celtic Re: wide Boots - 06/03/06 01:44 PM
Do you "need" them?

I don't really think anyone here can answer that question. It may boil down to where/whom you will actually work for.
In construction - whether it be home, office of plant - I have never been required to have them. Now mining - that's an area where I have no experience.
Where ever you land, the company will have a rule about steel tips:
a) Mandatory
b) Optional
c) Not allowed
d) Not addresssed.

I will also put in a vote for Red Wings(RW) ~ and also Irish Setter. If you do goto the RW store, be sure to check out their "clearance" area. I bought a pair of RW boots 3 years ago for $200+, they needed re-soling (yes, RW does that). Last re-sole cost me $40 which seemed like a bargin to me. This time they wanted $70.. WOW...copper isn't the only thing going up! Out of the corner of my eye I saw the clearance pile. My $200+ boots were now "discontinued" and for sale for $90...hmm $90 new or $70 for re-sole? I bought 2 pairs...LOL.

...and don't forget to get the American flags for the laces. [Linked Image]
Posted By: LoneGunman Re: wide Boots - 06/03/06 02:04 PM
I also reccomend and wear ONLY Redwing boots. They are expensive but they last. I personally won't buy the Irish Setter line as they are not made in the US.
Posted By: SolarPowered Re: wide Boots - 06/03/06 03:17 PM
George, I have bad news--Red Wings has dropped their narrow widths. They only go down to B width now. I need AA, and I can't get them there. And even their B widths run quite wide in the heel--they're more like a D width heel.

FYI, I've found that some of the Italian shoes run quite narrow. I have some Ecco Track II walking shoes that fit OK. And for my bicycle, the Sidi Dominators fit well enough.

[This message has been edited by SolarPowered (edited 06-03-2006).]
Posted By: Fred Re: wide Boots - 06/03/06 06:55 PM
My Redwing dealer must have a lot of old stock. He still supplies me with my 13 AA shoes. I'm real fortunate to have him around. He's an Amish fellow who has a shoe and harness repair shop. I pay $110.00 for the same Redwing shoes that sell for $210.00 at the Redwing store in Indy.
Posted By: Rewired Re: wide Boots - 06/03/06 07:53 PM
"Red Wing" you say? Hmm I am in the market for a new pair of boots myself, ( size 13 EE). I will have to check them out and see if they are availible in Canada... I take it these are really comfortable as well? I wear mine almost everywhere I go, on and off the job..

A.D
Posted By: LoneGunman Re: wide Boots - 06/03/06 08:51 PM
Rewired, My Redwing boots are so comfortable I have trouble wearing anything else, I need to get a pair of the Redwing hiker type boots to where when I go out if my workboots are to beat up for the occasion.
Posted By: iwire Re: wide Boots - 06/03/06 09:00 PM
http://www.redwingshoe.com/
Posted By: tkb Re: wide Boots - 06/03/06 09:12 PM
I've been wearing Red Wings for the last 20 years.
I think they are the most comfortable work boots you can get.
I wear 11 EEE.
They won't sell them to you unless they size your feet first.

My last boots lasted 7 years.

The thing to do with your boots to make them last longer is to have 2 pairs and alternate them every day. This lets them air out and fully dry before you wear them again.

AMERICAN MADE

Add: I really don't like the steel toe boots. Too heavy. I agree that they are safer in certin conditions, but I'm glad that they are optional where I work.

[This message has been edited by tkb (edited 06-03-2006).]
Posted By: Celtic Re: wide Boots - 06/04/06 12:44 AM
I have about four pairs...short (6"), tall (8/9"), insulated, non-insulated...

One of these pairs has got to be about 4 years old by now.

I wear what will be best for the weather that day [Linked Image]

TGIF(well yesterday) because I have 2 pairs of soaked non-insulated boots drying out now...and I don't relish the thought of insulated boots on an 80 degree day.
Posted By: Merlin Re: wide Boots - 06/04/06 03:41 AM
I can vouch for the Red Wings. I work in the mine industry and steel toes are required. I have worn Red Wings for about 15 years now and love them. I have tried others and can't stand them. I will only wear RW. I also have 2 pair. I wear one pair off the job, and the other on the job. When the on the job ones wear out, I switch to the others and buy a new off the job pair.

They are about $225 and last about 1 year. But my industry is brutal on them, so that is acceptable.

I highly reccomend them.
Posted By: winnie Re: wide Boots - 06/04/06 05:08 AM
Take a look at 'Westco'. In the $300 range, but custom made to fit your feet. They will measure your feet or send you a measuring kit. They can do steel toes, steel sole plates, thermal insulation, etc.

When I was wearing boots all the time, I wore them and was pretty pleased with them; my boss swears by them. I've pretty much given up wearing boots, so feel less inclined to give 100% positive reviews [Linked Image]
http://www.westcoastshoe.com/wesco/

One comment on steel toes: depending upon the application, steel toe boots may be considered _more_ dangerous than non-steel toe boots. You will need to check with the jobsite to see if they require or restrict steel toes.

-Jon
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: wide Boots - 06/04/06 05:29 AM
http://www.safeshoes.com/vendor/stanley.htm
Posted By: Trumpy Re: wide Boots - 06/04/06 09:32 AM
Sam,
I'm sorry to ask a question about boots here and if the moderaters want to delete it it's fine by me but if possible I need help finding extra wide work boots.
No way would a Moderator delete a question like this.
This is a good question.
I hope you get what you are after. [Linked Image]
Posted By: HCE727 Re: wide Boots - 06/04/06 11:58 AM
Try Zappos.com
Posted By: tkb Re: wide Boots - 06/04/06 04:01 PM
Did anyone see the Mythbusters episode on the steel toe boots?

The myth was that steel toes are dangerous if something heavy was dropped on the boot. The steel toe would crimp the toes.

They busted the myth. The steel toe boots would be safer.
Posted By: iwire Re: wide Boots - 06/04/06 04:07 PM
Yeah I saw that TKB.

I never doubted that steel toes where safer, if something heavy enough fell on your toes to crush the steel toe your in bad shape with or without them. [Linked Image]
Posted By: luckyshadow Re: wide Boots - 06/04/06 05:07 PM
I too also only wear Redwing work boots.
The one thing I found out is that if you buy them at a Redwing Store they Cost MORE.
I buy mine at a hardware / hunting supply store and save about $50.00. They stock them and will order them in for you at no cost.
So it might be worth your while to look /ask around to find an independent Redwing dealer.
Posted By: OreElect Re: wide Boots - 06/04/06 08:13 PM
check out danner
http://www.danner.com/
http://www.work-n-wear.com/shop/?shop=1&cart=257397&cat=213&

[This message has been edited by OreElect (edited 06-04-2006).]
Posted By: George Corron Re: wide Boots - 06/04/06 10:39 PM
While I am a HUGE Redwing fan, and have been for well over 25 years, I'm going to try a pair of Whites http://www.whitesboots.com
they also are in the $300.00 range, but custom made to your feet. Danners may be a great boot, but they do NOT make narrows

As far as Mythbusters go, they can sell that to the steamfitter whose steel cap I cut off before the ambulance got there, he lost 3 of the toes. I've not been a steel toe fan ever since then.

There's also the problem of using them for tools by setting things on them, you tend to wear out the leather over the top that way, but if they're required, they're required, I just don't like them much.

I injured all joints up to my hips in a motorcycle accident years ago, if I wanna walk, I pretty much wear boots so I try to keep them fair looking.

Good luck, good shoes can make a LOT of difference in your attitude.
Posted By: tkb Re: wide Boots - 06/05/06 02:30 AM
If whatever fell on his foot caused the steel toe to cut 3 toes landed on his foot without the steel toe, I would bet he would have lost half of his foot.

Steel toes are safer than not having them.
Posted By: wv-wire-wrangler Re: wide Boots - 06/05/06 05:34 PM
BIG THANKS TO EVERYONE!!.

I never expected this kind of reply. Our internet has been down for a few days so I just got back to check.

I found a redwing dealer near here, I'll call them and check on what sizes I can order.

If that doesn't work out I'm going to check the custom made ones. I was trying to find custom sized boots but couldn't find them. Guess I just wasn't looking in the right spot!

I watched the Mythbuster's "steel toe " shoe also. Pretty convincing to me. I try to watch all the Mythbuster's whenever I can. Some are just plain stupid but most are pretty good.

Oh, thanks for answering the question. I just didn't know whether I should ask a "workwear" question on here.

Thank again,

Sam
Posted By: tkb Re: wide Boots - 06/05/06 11:13 PM
Workwear is a big part of this trade.
It's just another tool.
Posted By: Celtic Re: wide Boots - 06/06/06 01:31 AM
I just didn't know whether I should ask a "workwear" question on here.

Why not?

Here's a thread about Nachos ~ yes, nachos! https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/006559.html

We all walk and eat in between work [Linked Image] ....some of us should walk more and eat less - LOL.
Posted By: LoneGunman Re: wide Boots - 06/07/06 01:03 AM
I regularly buy Red Wings on Ebay, if you know what size Red Wings you need you will not beat the prices. I've gotten three pairs for what one would cost at a Red Wing dealer.
Posted By: tkb Re: wide Boots - 06/07/06 01:19 AM
Ebay is where you go to buy stolen goods.
It's just an online fencing operation.

[This message has been edited by tkb (edited 06-06-2006).]
Posted By: LoneGunman Re: wide Boots - 06/07/06 02:36 AM
Yes, the 400 plus pairs must be from all of the Red Wing heists I've been reading about.
Posted By: subtech Re: wide Boots - 06/07/06 07:15 PM
You might also want to check out the steel toe alternative, Kevlar. Some guys I know who do high voltage work don't care for steel toes but get along fine with the Kevlar substitute. A google search will yeild several outlets for Kevlar toe safety boots.
Posted By: Celtic Re: wide Boots - 06/07/06 11:19 PM
I had a pair of this boots that had a "steel" toe in them made from the same material "as the nose cone on the space shuttle"....

These were the MOST uncomfortable boots I have ever worn - thankfully, they were a "safety" award and I didn't actually buy them. :P
© ECN Electrical Forums