ECN Forum
My boss just informed me that I am expected to dine next week with one of the members of our Board of Directors.

In 24 years I've never even observed a Board meeting.

So I ask around and find out the Board member has a buddy who is selling synchronous condensers and is trying to convince the Board to buy them for power factor correction on our Coop distribution lines.

Two questions.
1. Has anyone seen this done for distribution? I know they use them in plants, but is it practical in this application?
2. I understand inductive and capacitive reactance and their relationship to each other and to power factor. What I don't understand is how over-exciting the DC field of a synchronous motor develops a leading power factor in what would normally be an inductive device.

P.S. I posted this below in the "Theory" column and got no answers. Hate to double dip, but I'm running out of time.
I don't know if this helps...
http://www.geocities.com/cindulkar/lab16.pdf

Dnk..
I understand it to be a synchronous motor that is solely used for power factor correction. No actual load.
WFO,

I made a reply to your original message in the Theory area.

You may access it using the link below:

Synchronous Condensers

It most likely is less than you were hoping for, but check it out anyway [Linked Image]

Scott35
© ECN Electrical Forums