ECN Forum
Posted By: Redsy Arrestor? - 12/19/01 12:09 PM
I opened a 35 year old residential panel the other day and there was a device mounted to the inside wall of the box. It was a glass tube, about 1" diameter, 2-3" long. Brown material inside the glass with some information printed on the side but too worn to read. The leads at each end were connected across the 30 amp 240 volt dryer circuit. I haven't seen one before. I'm thinking surge protection. Anyone know what it might be?

Thanks.
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Arrestor? - 12/20/01 02:23 AM
Redsy,

Sounds like a Gas Tube type of TVSS device. Can't recall off hand the name and such, but I have seen them before and seen them referenced in schematics for Telco type TVSS devices.

Scott SET

P.S. If I find info, I'll pass along.
Posted By: Redsy Re: Arrestor? - 12/20/01 11:48 AM
Thanks Scott.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Arrestor? - 12/20/01 05:18 PM
Some sort of gas-discharge surge arrestor sounds the most likely, We used to use similar (but much smaller) types on phone lines here.

I would expect it to have a neutral/ground connection as well as two hots to be effective though.
Posted By: aphares Re: Arrestor? - 12/20/01 10:59 PM
There was about 2 decades ago what was called a "polarizer" claiming to be able to remove static cling to clothes in clothes dryers. This device was connected between the two hot leads of a dryer breaker. This may be what your divice is or was. In my opinion it was a gimmick to sell, but some
swore by polarizers.

Just a thought.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Arrestor? - 12/21/01 12:58 AM
I don't suppose the manfacturer offered any explanation of how it was supposed to work?
Posted By: aphares Re: Arrestor? - 12/21/01 01:04 AM
At the time I'm sure they did, but probably will not be able to find it today. try a search hitting key word (polarizer) for dryer. Maybe something still out there of the sort.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Arrestor? - 12/21/01 01:25 PM
Well, I've come up empty. Probably no big loss anyway.

It sounds like one of those pseudo-science devices, like the little stick-on triangles a few years ago that supposedly did everything from preventing headaches to improving the sound of your hi-fi.
© ECN Electrical Forums