ECN Forum
Posted By: festus Loaded Question - 05/01/06 08:44 PM
Ok, here it comes:
Anybody have to take off today due to the illegal immigrants protesting?
I have to believe that due to the technical nature of our trade, the demanding licensing requirements, and the ultimate liability of our work, that we are not "infiltrated" with the hoards of newly arrived illegal workers. To be honest, I have not seen or encountered any EC's that have resorted to hiring the illegals , but my scope of vision is rather limited. I have no idea what is going on across the country concerning this subject. The big employers are coming under scrutiny now. I was told that as a subcontractor for a home improvement company, all my employees have to now have drug tests, credit checks, and a background investigation. This does not impact me as I am the only employee, but it has caused quite a panic among the floor and kitchen installers.
How does this current political situation affect electrical contractors?
Posted By: GA76JW Re: Loaded Question - 05/01/06 09:05 PM
I have seen a lot of the "Immigrants" doing the Electrical work in the new construction tract homes around here lately. Usually the lower end housing.

I don't know if it really affects anybody. I mean it's only one day. Who-hoo. All that means is that the jobsite was a little quieter today. They should all be back to work tomorrow.
Posted By: Admin Re: Loaded Question - 05/01/06 09:18 PM
Just a Reminder - We're not going to delve into Politics here, and no name-calling or derogatory generalizations will be tolerated.
Posted By: electure Re: Loaded Question - 05/01/06 11:16 PM
Apparently someone didn't understand what the post above from the Webmaster says.

I had to delete the post immediately following it.

There's nothing to be gained by leaving this thread open.

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 05-01-2006).]
© ECN Electrical Forums