ECN Forum
Posted By: kg18 Sport Court Lighting? - 04/30/06 02:01 PM
We just found out that the lights on the sport court we were supposed to wire are going to be 240v. What is the best way to switch these lights. We plan on locating the switch on the house next to the sub panel not on the light pole. Thanks
Posted By: walrus Re: Sport Court Lighting? - 04/30/06 02:57 PM
How many lights? I'd use a contactor(s)
Posted By: Roger Re: Sport Court Lighting? - 04/30/06 03:06 PM
What is the total load and / or number of circuits?

Roger
Posted By: Celtic Re: Sport Court Lighting? - 04/30/06 04:34 PM
I like the time clock and/or contactor combination [Linked Image]
Posted By: kg18 Re: Sport Court Lighting? - 04/30/06 05:14 PM
1 circuit to each light. I am not sure on the wattage, but I am sure they are pretty hefty. Thanks for the input guys.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Sport Court Lighting? - 05/01/06 03:05 AM
I imagine a lot of lights...with a LOT of current inrush at start-up.

I suppose, in a perfect world, there would be some sort of contactor that would turn them on in sequence, with a couple of seconds between wach on- spreading that inrush over time.

Has anyone ever seen such a product?
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Sport Court Lighting? - 05/01/06 04:40 AM
Potter Brumfield makes adjustible time delay contactors but I bet they are pricy.

There are lots of ways to do it electronically but that is probably not "listed"

[This message has been edited by gfretwell (edited 05-01-2006).]
Posted By: iwire Re: Sport Court Lighting? - 05/01/06 09:25 AM
I imagine a lot of lights...with a LOT of current inrush at start-up.

A standard lighting controller could be programed for sequential operation.

I would not worry about inrush currents unless we had 100's of fixtures.

We do a lot of site lighting and switching on 100 to 200 - 1000 watt MH fixtures in one shot is common with no problems. Usually an entire panel(s) is contactor controlled.

However I do not think we are talking about a stadium here, just a house with a court.

As he mentioned the switch beside the panel why not just get SWD rated breakers?

Beyond that a simple multi-pole contactor would be a simple way to go.
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Sport Court Lighting? - 05/03/06 04:39 AM
kg18;

What is the best way to switch these lights. We plan on locating the switch on the house next to the sub panel not on the light pole

What does your Client want to do, as far as the way the Lights are controlled?

Ask the Person(s) with the responsibility and Authority to make these decisions (like who signs the check, wanted the lights, etc.), what controlling methods are wanted for these lights, and quote prices accordingly.

There's about 10 "Best" methods I can think of right away, for controlling these Lights, ranging from a "Simple" approach using a 2 Pole Spring Wound Timeswitch per each 2 wire circuit, upto "Detailed" approach, involving time clock / photocell / over ride timeswitch driving a Lighting Contactor.

One major Question:

Does your State / County / City require Energy Conservation Compliance?
If yes, then you will need to control the lighting per the Compliance Documents of that Commission.

Just my $0.02 [Linked Image]

Scott35
© ECN Electrical Forums