ECN Forum
Posted By: bwise121 Can someone tell me what Breaker this is? - 04/17/06 04:32 AM
[Linked Image] Go to this link for a larger view: http://www.declareit.com/gallery2/images/Breaker.jpg

I pulled this from an old apartment. It is a Cutler Hammer sub-panel 120/240 Volt. It looks sort of like a Square D XO breaker. I'm needing a replacement but don't know where to look or what to ask for?

Thanks,
Byron

edited to add small picture

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 04-17-2006).]
Ask for a Square D or Cutler Hammer Type XO

It shouldn’t be a problem to find at the breaker shops. If you can’t find one locally try www.siscobreakers.com or www.baybreakers.com

Curt
Ah, good links thanks.
It is a Cutler Hammer type XO.

I was told Cutler Hammer and Square D were the same company years ago.

Byron
XO breakers are very old...probably will not find a new one for replacement...maybe a panel replacement is a better solution.
Posted By: NORCAL Re: Can someone tell me what Breaker this is? - 04/17/06 06:52 AM
Those XOs have been obsolete for 45 plus years, time to consider replacement a used breaker will not come cheap.

In the 70s SQ D tooled up once a year to build replacements, for a bit of useless trivia. [Linked Image]
Posted By: JBD Re: Can someone tell me what Breaker this is? - 04/17/06 02:28 PM
Square D and Cutler-Hammer were never the same company. There have been many situations when the "brand labeled" componenets between each other, but that is true of most electrical manufacturers.

In this case Square D sold the manufacturing rights to the XO breaker to C-H back in the 70's.

[This message has been edited by JBD (edited 04-17-2006).]
Perhaps T&B makes a replacement breaker for this. Just a thought.
There is no replacement breaker

I have only seen used ones available, usually ones that electricians have kept after doing panel changes. In the USA are you allowed to install used breakers?
Norcal states, in part:

"Those XOs have been obsolete for 45 plus years..."

Now I feel really old. I can remember installing those when they were new.

And I haven't seen any suppliers that handle those anymore.

Maybe it's time I retire. :-)
Posted By: NORCAL Re: Can someone tell me what Breaker this is? - 04/18/06 05:09 AM
Cutler- Hammer sold XOs in the late 1950s, there are subdivisions full of them locally.
What I think is comical is that the Cutler-Hammer web site makes a big deal bragging about how they support you by continuing to make replacement parts for all their old panels. When you email them asking about XO, then they admit that "all" doesn't include XO. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by SolarPowered (edited 04-18-2006).]
Around here we use to all keep the old breaker for "Just in case of an emergency" situation. I know we where not suppose to use them, but I wouldn't charge for the part, and I would put on my bill, that it was "ONLY a Temp. fix.". This way in case something went wrong, I at least had a way out of a bad situation. ( Or at least I hoped I did!)
Posted By: u2slow Re: Can someone tell me what Breaker this is? - 04/23/06 05:15 AM
+1 on the XO identification.

I passed up a 100A XO load center once on a 1920's house slated for demo. I decided it was just old junk.

Now I wish I had pulled it - even if it was just for the neat factor.
I have one of those in my junk box. My Grandmothers house (built in 1951 or so, in a suburb of Toronto) had a panel of them.
© ECN Electrical Forums