ECN Forum
Posted By: Cindy FS & FD boxes - 12/15/01 03:43 PM
ARTICLE 370 -- Outlet, Device, Pull and Junction Boxes, Conduit Bodies and Fittings
370-1. Scope
Cast, sheet metal, nonmetallic, and other boxes such as FS, FD, and larger boxes are not classified as conduit bodies.

What are FS and FD boxes? How are they different than 4-square or device boxes? And how did they get the name FS and FD?
Posted By: Nick Re: FS & FD boxes - 12/15/01 07:34 PM
Here is a FS box.
[Linked Image from appletonelec.com]

The S means shallow. The D means deap. I belive the F stands for ferrous.
Posted By: electure Re: FS & FD boxes - 12/16/01 01:13 PM
I still get a kick out of the fact that "ferrous" boxes are available in aluminum.
The third letter will designate the # and location of hubs in the same way as a condulet, ie. an FSC will have 2 hubs on opposite ends, etc.

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 12-16-2001).]
Posted By: Cindy Re: FS & FD boxes - 12/16/01 04:09 PM
Ok, then I'll go with FST referring to "ferrous shallow" T, like a condulet with end hubs and a side hub, not necessarily ferrous, and they appear to be meant for weather exposed and hard useage locations.
Does that sound right?
Thanks, C
Posted By: Elzappr Re: FS & FD boxes - 12/22/01 06:48 PM
Cindy, I'm looking at an O-Z/Gedney catalog and it shows three basic single gang shallow box configurations: FSS, FSCT, FSX. The FSCT would serve for your "FST", it has a hub at both ends and at one side. I don't see a box with a rear hub, like in a TB condulet, nor a box that would look like an LB or LR.
Posted By: Elzappr Re: FS & FD boxes - 12/22/01 06:53 PM
Oops, found more: FS--one end hub; FSC--two opposite end hubs; FSL and FSR--like LL and LR condulets. Also there is a FSA --no hubs; and an FSCC--two hubs on one end, one at the other end.
Posted By: electure Re: FS & FD boxes - 12/22/01 07:40 PM
Yes, the one Cindy describes is actually an FSCT, an FST comes in one end, and out both sides. Maybe I oversimplified it.
Try this: www.appletonelec.com
Posted By: Cindy Re: FS & FD boxes - 12/23/01 04:32 PM
thanks, kinda like conduit bodies, but not.

when/where would we use these FS and FD boxes?
Posted By: golf junkie Re: FS & FD boxes - 12/23/01 04:58 PM
>when/where would we use these FS and FD boxes?

We use them for any severe duty industrial application....grain elevators, ethanol plants, etc.

GJ
Posted By: Cindy Re: FS & FD boxes - 12/23/01 05:11 PM
short of explosion proof enclosures then, would you say these fs/fd boxes are the best choice for weather and hard useage? i haven't tried to break one vs. trying to break a heavy plastic box but they do look and feel a bit like pot metal
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: FS & FD boxes - 12/23/01 05:34 PM
So, what are the PVC boxes with hubs and WP gaskets/covers called? I thought they qualified as "FS" and "FD" too..

[Linked Image]
Posted By: golf junkie Re: FS & FD boxes - 12/23/01 05:45 PM
"would you say these fs/fd boxes are the best choice for weather and hard useage? i haven't tried to break one vs. trying to break a heavy plastic box but they do look and feel a bit like pot metal"

You may be able to break a aluminum box with some effort. You will not break a malleable steel box. It's easy to tell them apart, the steel is much, much, heavier.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So, what are the PVC boxes with hubs and WP gaskets/covers called? I thought they qualified as "FS" and "FD" too.."

Good point....you are correct sir!

GJ
© ECN Electrical Forums