ECN Forum
Posted By: Cinner What is the equivalent DC current...? - 04/05/06 09:58 PM
What is the DC current value that will give you the same amount of heat as 1.0 amp rms going through a 10 ohm resistor?

A).637 a
b) .707 a
c) 1.0 a
d) 1.41 a

[This message has been edited by Cinner (edited 04-05-2006).]
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: What is the equivalent DC current...? - 04/05/06 10:06 PM
C--1 ampere
Posted By: Roger Re: What is the equivalent DC current...? - 04/05/06 10:26 PM
Actually it is (b).707

Roger
I agree with NJ. If you multiply the RMS by .707 again, it becomes PMS, which should be avoided.
Joe
Posted By: Roger Re: What is the equivalent DC current...? - 04/05/06 11:21 PM
Oooooops, I read the question again [Linked Image]

I also agree with NJ

Roger
Posted By: Cinner Re: What is the equivalent DC current...? - 04/05/06 11:25 PM
Shouldn't the answer be:

1/0.707 = 1.41

1.41 x .637 = 0.9 amps.

Do you agree?
Posted By: Roger Re: What is the equivalent DC current...? - 04/05/06 11:38 PM
Cinner, the "rms" (which I somehow read as "AC" when I first read the question, who knows where my reading skills jaunted off to) already has the AC value equal to the DC value.

Roger
Cinner,
A few years ago, meters started coming out with the "True RMS" labels all over them. These meters give you a reading that is already the peak value X .707, or the RMS, or the heating value. If you had a less spiffy, average reading meter, you would take the displayed "average" value / .637, to get to peak, and then X .707 to get to your RMS value. Hope this helps.
Joe
But still avoid the PMS.

[This message has been edited by JoeTestingEngr (edited 04-05-2006).]
Posted By: pauluk Re: What is the equivalent DC current...? - 04/06/06 01:13 PM
And the 10-ohm figure specified is one of these pieces of data thrown in to a question which is of no significance.

Since P = I^2 x R, 1 amp DC will give the same amount of heat as 1 amp RMS AC no matter what the resistance value (so long as it's the same in both cases, of course).
Posted By: RODALCO Re: What is the equivalent DC current...? - 04/06/06 07:28 PM
Answer C, 1 Amp.
what kind of a meter would you use to measure the pms?
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: What is the equivalent DC current...? - 04/09/06 04:08 PM
A calendar?
Posted By: iwire Re: What is the equivalent DC current...? - 04/09/06 04:10 PM
LOL [Linked Image]
NJ: A calendar?
It is true that a calendar can be used for PMS (Predicting Mean Spouse), but not really as a measurement system. Since PMS still relates to a heating value, consider using infra red measurement from as far away as possible.
Joe
Posted By: capt al Re: What is the equivalent DC current...? - 04/09/06 08:03 PM
Joe, I would not want to use my infrared camera to measure (Predicting Mean Spouse). I do not think I could get far enough away fast enough.

Al
Once made the mistake of asking my wife about why a calendar was required for Predicting Mean Spouse.

"BECAUSE IT BLOODY WELL IS, THAT'S WHY!!!!!!!!"
.i'm over here, my little nest of vipers
Posted By: iwire Re: What is the equivalent DC current...? - 04/09/06 08:44 PM
Careful Capt. Al I have your home phone number. [Linked Image]
Posted By: gfretwell Re: What is the equivalent DC current...? - 04/10/06 01:47 AM
You can always tell around here. The trades on my wife's jobs are wearing arc flash PPE and everyone has their hard hat on.
© ECN Electrical Forums