ECN Forum
Posted By: HCE727 Off is on, On is off, I think? - 04/04/06 01:49 AM
I looked at a job the other day where a single pole switch controlled a light. When the switch was in the down position, it said on, but the light did not work. With the switch in the up position, it said off, but the light worked. How is that possible? Does anyone want to take a stab at it?
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Off is on, On is off, I think? - 04/04/06 01:56 AM
If the switch is upside down, in the on position it would say no. And in the off position it'd say ffo. I suggest installing a new switch and install it the correct way. That's what I would do.
Posted By: HCE727 Re: Off is on, On is off, I think? - 04/04/06 02:01 AM
That's funny!
Posted By: JoeTestingEngr Re: Off is on, On is off, I think? - 04/04/06 02:28 AM
That sounds like it might have been part of a photocell (or other) controlled lighting contactor circuit. I can think of numerous scenarios. I have a nasty habit of taking markers to unlabelled switches, disconnects, Et,c.
Joe
Posted By: wa2ise Re: Off is on, On is off, I think? - 04/04/06 04:44 AM
Mercury switch installed upsidedown?
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Off is on, On is off, I think? - 04/04/06 06:41 AM
2 way switch miss-wired as single way?

edit, [I just woke up, no coffee yet!]
Alan

[This message has been edited by Alan Belson (edited 04-04-2006).]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Off is on, On is off, I think? - 04/04/06 12:35 PM
2 way switch miss-wired as single way?

American 2-way switches (3-way in U.S. terminology) have unlabeled toggles though.

Only simple 1-way switches have "On" and "Off" marked on the toggle.
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: Off is on, On is off, I think? - 04/04/06 01:35 PM
I'd have to agree with Mr. Wise: upside-down mercury quiet switch.
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: Off is on, On is off, I think? - 04/04/06 03:26 PM
Could just have been a bad day at the switch manufacturer, and the toggle was installed upside-down...
Posted By: HCE727 Re: Off is on, On is off, I think? - 04/04/06 07:48 PM
NJW, you got it right. I went back to do the job that I looked at and had to replace that switch, that's what it was. I should have kept that switch.
Posted By: Celtic Re: Off is on, On is off, I think? - 04/04/06 11:00 PM
I would have saved that switch..and installed as many times as needed or until I was satisfied I had "fooled" everyone [Linked Image]
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Off is on, On is off, I think? - 04/07/06 12:43 PM
American 2-way switches (3-way in U.S. terminology) have unlabeled toggles though.

Only simple 1-way switches have "On" and "Off" marked on the toggle.
Same here. One old series of toggles had a red dot for "on", the 3-way and 4-way were just white (by the way, in German 3-ways are call alternating and 4-ways cross switches, because they alternate between the two travellers resp. cross out the travellers).
© ECN Electrical Forums