ECN Forum
Posted By: GETELECTRIC bending pvc - 03/31/06 06:09 PM
Hey has any body used the slinky type coil that is inserted into pvc conduit and then you bend it just like emt,looks pretty good.
Posted By: Amazingmg Re: bending pvc - 03/31/06 06:32 PM
I saw those advertised in EC magazine.

Looks neat, but do they work?

Enquiring minds want to know.
Posted By: steve ancient apprentice Re: bending pvc - 03/31/06 07:44 PM
I conned my boss into buying that a month ago while doing work in a greenhouse. He did not want to spend the money for it. Cheap is what he is. He bought it anyway and after useing it he said it was one of the best things he ever got. Of course he said it was his idea. They work great. I highly reccommend it.
Posted By: Steve Miller Re: bending pvc - 03/31/06 08:03 PM
I don't like them. They seem to work but about every other bend the pipe gets that white tint to indicate that it has been stressed beyond limits. I never read the specs to see if this color change is technically a problem but I don't trust it.
Posted By: iwire Re: bending pvc - 03/31/06 09:22 PM
Steve heat the pipe more.
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: bending pvc - 03/31/06 10:23 PM
Heat???
Posted By: caselec Re: bending pvc - 03/31/06 10:34 PM
I have seen them at the supply house counter with scraps of pipe for demonstration but haven’t personally tried one. Most of the bends customers had done looked to have a very short radius. I’m not sure that you could easily make an accurate bend such as an offset since you are required to over bend the pipe to make up for substantial spring back. I also don’t like the look of the bends but I guess looks don’t matter if the pipe is being used underground.

I use a hot box for most small PVC bending. Last year I purchased one of the Hot Bend torches for a job that required many customer bends in 3” pipe and would have say that it was a very good purchase.

Bob, I think the idea behind theses springs is not to use any heat. I’m not use that they would be any better than using a standard pipe bender.

Curt
Posted By: iwire Re: bending pvc - 03/31/06 10:58 PM
[quote]Bob, I think the idea behind theses springs is not to use any heat. [quote]

Thanks for the info, I did not know that.

I saw them at the supply house and assumed you used them with heat.

Now that I know that I still say heat the pipe more. [Linked Image]

Bob
Posted By: Trumpy Re: bending pvc - 03/31/06 11:18 PM
Yeah,
Bending springs are meant to be used with un-heated PVC.
If it's a cold day when you're working with it outside, giving the conduit a rub with the palm of your hand can often produce enough warmth to make the bend easier.
I have springs for 16,20,25 and 32mm dia conduit.
Bending the conduit "under" your knee-cap is a pretty common technique here in New Zealand. [Linked Image]
Posted By: bot540 Re: bending pvc - 03/31/06 11:21 PM
I just tried one today. Worked ok for offsets and kicks but it didn't make a 90 to well.
Posted By: electure Re: bending pvc - 03/31/06 11:50 PM
I've not seen these springs.
Small PVC seems to bend just fine for me with a regular hand EMT bender.
Sure, it springs back, and you've got to take a couple of shots for a 90°, but it saves carrying yet another tool, and actually works quite well. [Linked Image]
Posted By: e57 Re: bending pvc - 04/01/06 02:30 AM
No heat????? And it keeps the bend?

What does the spring do? Keep you from snapping it?
Posted By: renosteinke Re: bending pvc - 04/01/06 03:08 AM
The guy at the parts house was so proud of his new item...demonstrating it to all. Then he did a demo for me- and bent the pipe a little too tightly, and couldn't get the spring out!
Posted By: Clydesdale Re: bending pvc - 04/02/06 02:11 AM
One thing's for sure:

The guy who invented the thing is sitting on the beach laughing.
Posted By: sierra electrician Re: bending pvc - 04/02/06 02:35 AM
I know I'll take "heat" for this but....I use a small weed burner. The kind that takes the little propane bottles.
Posted By: classicsat Re: bending pvc - 04/02/06 04:05 AM
The spring keeps the pipe from kinking.

I have seen similar devices for soft copper piping, but you installt the device on the outside of the pipe.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: bending pvc - 04/02/06 07:29 AM
Another useless idea was; pack the tube with sand, or a molten lead fill for iron pipe, then bend it over your knee. Or the apprentices's head for larger rads.
Oh, how we all laughed as we waited in out-patients for Doc to arrive from the Golf Club.

Alan
© ECN Electrical Forums