ECN Forum
Posted By: e57 Single outlet GFI device? - 03/24/06 12:46 AM
Anyone know of a single outlet GFI device, Doing a resteraunt kitchen (2002 code) with a bunch of dedicated appliances, and being forced to utilize twin breakers.... Otherwise they'll all be duplex devices....
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Single outlet GFI device? - 03/24/06 01:32 AM
I have never seen such an animal. Can you switch around some circuits in the panel? Take some non gfci circuits and put them on the twin breakers leaving you full spaces for gfci breakers.
Posted By: Active 1 Re: Single outlet GFI device? - 03/24/06 01:32 AM
I remember one time we had the same type of problem. We installed the combo GFI switch. Then just hooked the switch side to the GFI side. Then you have a GFI protected outlet with a disconect switch.

Tom
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Single outlet GFI device? - 03/24/06 02:18 AM
You could use a dead front GFCI device and a single receptacle in a 1900 box.
Posted By: e57 Re: Single outlet GFI device? - 03/24/06 02:32 AM
Yall kno, SOS... Rich enough to open new resturaunt, poor enough to not want new panel.... Trying to mash the joint on to a 20/40 100A sub fed-thru 100A Main with dist. Haven't done total circuit count yet, and doubting boss's quick calc ability, but darn sure I will be twinning most...

Anyway...
Single recepts will only be required for eqipment fastened in place. But I don't want to have a duplex for the things like a 14.5A toaster, (not fastened) and accomadate people who look at outlets as unlimited power sources. "Hey, look, theres an extra outlet behind the toaster!" Or the 2 11A blenders next to eachother, "We'll just move these over here, and get 2 more..."

Tom and gfretwell, dems not a half bad ideas... [Linked Image]

Might look into dead front and single in 2G plate.

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 03-23-2006).]
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Single outlet GFI device? - 03/24/06 03:13 AM
E57:
Leviton makes a single GFI with a sp switch combo device. $20-$25 range, I think. Other than that....
Dead front, single recept as above.

John
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Single outlet GFI device? - 03/24/06 05:33 AM
[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]

This is the only one I've ever come across....
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Single outlet GFI device? - 03/25/06 12:45 AM
Lostazhell:
Is that 'available' to buy??? Or is it something you came accross???

John
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Single outlet GFI device? - 03/25/06 12:48 AM
It won't matter when the place burns down. Maybe then they will have some respect for electricity. Friggin cheapskates. [Linked Image]
Posted By: NORCAL Re: Single outlet GFI device? - 03/25/06 02:43 AM
That GFCI receptacle is a Bell device.

(while they were still owned by SQ D)
Posted By: winnie Re: Single outlet GFI device? - 03/25/06 02:15 PM
I did a bit of looking around. The Leviton 8299 is a combination GFCI with a single receptacle and a single pole switch. The only problem with it is that the switch is rated for 8.3A. Also the receptacle is a 15A receptacle, so you couldn't use it on a 20A circuit.

Pass and Seymour list 15A GFCI receptacles with 15A switches, and 20A GFCI receptacles with a night light in place of one of the receptacle outlets.
http://www.passandseymour.com/pdf/E.pdf

I'm sure that other manufacturers make devices where one 'outlet' of the GFCI is replaced by something interesting.

-Jon
Posted By: e57 Re: Single outlet GFI device? - 03/25/06 03:40 PM
Now Scott thats not very nice... [Linked Image] We have already had the conversation about why its a bad idea, and thay have already deleted a lot of equipment.

Jon, night-lights sound interesting, as they would all be behind equipment, like back lighting at night. [Linked Image] I like the idea of a glowing coffee machine.
Posted By: Collector Re: Single outlet GFI device? - 03/08/07 06:18 AM
Lostazhell, when was that style of GFCI receptacles used, I have only ever seen one of them in real life - at an airport. I would like to get my hands on one to add to my collection!
Posted By: iwire Re: Single outlet GFI device? - 03/08/07 09:25 AM
Anyway...
Single recepts will only be required for eqipment fastened in place.

Required by who?

Not the NEC. [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums