ECN Forum
Posted By: Sparks30 Face up Wiremold - 03/18/06 02:35 AM
I know you cannot install counter top receptacles face up, but what about 4000 wire mold. I have an architect that wants me to place wire mold on the ground face up. I do not think this is ok, but I do not have any code article to back it up. Any help will be welcomed.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Face up Wiremold - 03/18/06 02:53 PM
Sparks:
Can't seem to put a NEC Reference to exactly what you asked

You said "on the ground" ??

To bad 'common sense' isn't in the NEC!

I'll delve into this over the weekend for a NEC ref, if there is one.

John
Posted By: earlydean Re: Face up Wiremold - 03/18/06 03:04 PM
Looking at the UL white book, I see no info either way. Looking at the wiremold installation instructions I see no direction either, although the illustrations show base pieces being mounted both horizontally and vertically (but not the receptacles - they are always horizontal in the pictures)
I would venture my opinion that mounting wiremold 4000 receptacles face-up on the ground should be permitted in some instances, but may not be such a good idea in all locations. The NEC requires all installations to be "acceptable to the AHJ" and to be "suitable for the conditions of use".(110.2 & .3)
It would be my recommendation, then, that prior to installation, you contact your AHJ for their acceptance of the plan.
Posted By: Gregtaylor Re: Face up Wiremold - 03/18/06 04:03 PM
Is this a residential app? Receptacles within 12" of a wall that are taking the place of flush receptacles, perhaps because the wall is glass may be face up and are not required to be covered. This would depend of course on the manufacturers specs, but the code would allow it.
Posted By: macmikeman Re: Face up Wiremold - 03/18/06 04:16 PM
I would check the listing for wiremold. I have doubts about it having a listing for floor receptacle use.
Posted By: luckyshadow Re: Face up Wiremold - 03/18/06 08:13 PM
Without getting too deep into the code- Everything I read pertaining to surface metal raceways and the like , uses not permitted: where subject to severe physical damage.
I would think mounting 4000 wiremold on the floor , face up would be subject to severe physical damage. Such damage coming from mops and water , vacuum cleaners, furniture, and peoples feet. Someone WILL stand on it!
Posted By: Sparks30 Re: Face up Wiremold - 03/19/06 06:46 AM
Thanks for the replys. This will be going into a computer room for elementry school kids under the desk. Monday I will be talking to the AHJ. I do not want to mount it this way. I was looking for some hard copy stuff to show the GC just for proof. Thanks again.Sam
Posted By: e57 Re: Face up Wiremold - 03/19/06 11:59 AM
I agree with lucky.

386.12 Uses Not Permitted.
Surface metal raceways shall not be used in the following:
(1) Where subject to severe physical damage, unless otherwise approved

If all else fails push the inspector over it so he trips.
Posted By: jfwayer Re: Face up Wiremold - 03/19/06 12:31 PM
You would find it hard to damage wiremold 4000 without a hammer. It's made of .050" galvanized steel.
Posted By: electure Re: Face up Wiremold - 03/19/06 12:49 PM
Before you start pushing the inspector around so that he sees the face up recps, consider this:

[Linked Image]

Taken directly from w-mold's catalogue
1500/2600 series. I don't think they've got an issue with the plug facing up.

Don't put your foot in your mouth [Linked Image]
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Face up Wiremold - 03/19/06 04:30 PM
We might be confusing "in the floor" with "ON the floor".

Floor boxes, and their covers, are evaluated with a lot of attention given to "what happens when the floor is mopped or the carpet is cleaned?" Likewise, it is assumed that the receptacles will be in the middle of the floor, for all to run into.

Remove those concerns, and then the remaining worry is "what about falling crud?" I think you can see why the NEC bans 'face-up' receptacles in kitchen counters.

I think a case for mounting receptacles on the floor, face up, where protected by furniture can be made. Think of that cord dropping between a desk and the wall; the plug is certainly more likely to be damaged (by the desk pressing onto it) coming out of the wall, than coming up from the floor. While there might be a possibility of someone spilling their coffee' this risk is not even in the same league as a kitchen counter (which is deliberately made wet and dirty, regularily).

I see this as a design issue. Plugmold on the floor, behind the sofa? Sure. Plugmold on the wall, along the jacuzzi? No Way.
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Face up Wiremold - 03/19/06 05:10 PM
406.4(E) is the only section that is relevent in my opinion, and its scope is very limited.
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: Face up Wiremold - 03/19/06 05:11 PM
I agree with Reno. This is not a code issue, but a design issue. Receptacles are permitted faceup in/on the floor. The subject to severe physical damage is important. The only one(s) who can make that judgement are the ones who can actually physically see it. From our vantage point here, we cannot.
They make "doghouse" type enclosures designed for this type of installation. Would that be a consideration? Remember part of the design consideration is the environment in which this installation is in...CHILDREN!!!
Posted By: e57 Re: Face up Wiremold - 03/19/06 06:35 PM
Scott, it looks a convienient foot rest in that picture, due to placement alone.

"This will be going into a computer room for elementry school kids under the desk."

That in mind, it is an attractive nuisance

On top of that, unlike many Floor Outlets, or IMO what should be more appropriate in situations like that, Floor Access Boxes. That would be mop tight, resistive to splilled Cool Aid, accumilatate dirt and debris over time, and reccessed to resist damage to the outlet. (Back in my service work days, I saw many receptical failures/damage due to things like that.) As well as facilitate repurposing of the room of reconfiguration of the furnature in the future.

Even "Dog-House" fittings with a flex mounted to the feed the stuff mounted on the furnature would be better. I have done that many times.... Just about every office environment.
Posted By: iwire Re: Face up Wiremold - 03/19/06 06:50 PM
Mark

The original post stated;

I do not think this is ok, but I do not have any code article to back it up.

I am sure many of us have seen outlets damaged from being placed face up. That does not change the fact they are allowable and no inspector should be turning them down.

It's strictly a design choice.

Bob
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Face up Wiremold - 03/19/06 07:57 PM
If this is in a school it won't usually be the regular muni inspector looking at it. Around here the board of education has it's own inspector and their own rules.
I see a little kid sitting there kicking that plug until something happens.

Even if it passes the inspection I bet you will be back ... but I guess that is another job. You gotta eat too [Linked Image]
Posted By: e57 Re: Face up Wiremold - 03/21/06 02:01 AM
Bob, I don't think I am alone in thinking it is a bad idea... And I think any Inspector worth his salt should pull out his "Subject to Physical Damage" punk card under the circumstances. In case you hadn't noticed the orginal poster also didn't think it was a good idea, and not his choice of design either. Seems to be his only chance IMO. [Linked Image]
Posted By: iwire Re: Face up Wiremold - 03/21/06 11:07 AM
Mark did you see me say I think it is a great idea? [Linked Image]

What I can not agree with is the inspector failing it. That would be inconsistent with standard trade practices.

It is a very common installation and IMO an inspector would be on shaky ground to fail it. Heck even 'electure' is not seeing a violation and he is fairly conservative. [Linked Image]

We install hundreds of outlets in the floors of department stores, as soon as the cap is removed it is lost.

As soon as a lamp or other display is plugged in it is a trip hazard and may 'light up' under someones foot.

It is just a result of needing electricity where there are no walls. Pendant drops are not an option.

Would you rather the outlet was not installed and they run cords across the floor?

Of course the installer can always refuse to do the work.

JMO, Bob
© ECN Electrical Forums