ECN Forum
Posted By: Redsy PEX vs. Hi-Hats - 02/08/06 01:17 AM
I have been in situations where a run of plastic plumbing (PEX Tubing) has been very close (1-2") to where I'd like to install a recessed light. I'm not sure how close they can be, or what would happen if they eventually came in contact.

A PEX information site says that it is good for up tp 200 deg. for heating applications, 180 deg. for plumbing, but maximum recommended of 140 deg. I'm not sure how hot the outside surface of a Hi-Hat gets.

Any thougths, or experiences would be appreciated.
Posted By: macmikeman Re: PEX vs. Hi-Hats - 02/08/06 02:08 AM
Well, if it gets too hot and burns the pex thru at least there will be enough water around to cool things off somewhat.
Posted By: Celtic Re: PEX vs. Hi-Hats - 02/08/06 04:30 AM
I just had an inspector "suggest" I keep my HH's 3-6" away from the pex.

A more prudent solution would be for the plumbers to check the prints and keep their pex away from my HH's.
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: PEX vs. Hi-Hats - 02/08/06 12:21 PM
Celtic, I once built 40 identical homes, identical I say..

In every home, the framing was different, the plumbing routes were different, the Hvac returns and ducts were different....

One would think after 0ne or two, people would have their stuff together, and they would all be the same....wishful thinking on my part....

I don't know, cause I got out of that line of work, but pre-manufactured homes seem the only way to avoid these dilemas. I am thinking pre-manufactured meaning, the ones that have all the walls built with cutouts, and then get assembled on site, but I am sure they have their problems too...

Dnk...
Posted By: Clydesdale Re: PEX vs. Hi-Hats - 02/09/06 03:23 AM
Yeah..I had the same problem with that. I talked to the plummer and he took care of me.
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: PEX vs. Hi-Hats - 02/09/06 08:43 AM
As long as the pipe contains water, it will never exceed 212F.

I can't imagine a fixture getting near that with the thermal cutout.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: PEX vs. Hi-Hats - 02/09/06 06:40 PM
The operative term here is "contain". If it gets to 212f it won't be containing much of anything anymore. The weakest place in that pipe system will rupture. Hopefully it will be the popoff valve in the water heater.
Posted By: Redsy Re: PEX vs. Hi-Hats - 02/09/06 11:32 PM
Thanks guys.
I kept the light about 4" horizontally.
I don't think there's much of a problem, but I looked at the print on the tubing. It said 180 deg. F @ 100 PSI.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: PEX vs. Hi-Hats - 02/15/06 12:33 AM
What about getting the amnufacturers name and sending them an email. Sometimes they actualy answer questions. Sometimes.
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: PEX vs. Hi-Hats - 02/16/06 01:07 AM
"They mostly come out at night . . . mostly." ~ Newt in Aliens
© ECN Electrical Forums