ECN Forum
Posted By: BigJohn Breaker Lockouts - 01/21/06 05:55 PM
I'm looking to buy some single pole and multi-pole breaker lockouts, and I'm having trouble sorting through all the variety. I've seen "universal" 1P lockouts for four bucks, and another 1P lockout might sell for $35.

I'm trying to stay away from junk, I want something that works, but $35 a-piece seems pricy. Can anyone recommend any cheaper lockouts?

-John
Posted By: Dave T Re: Breaker Lockouts - 01/21/06 07:29 PM
It's kind of hard to reply to you request when you haven't identified the manufacture of the breakers, the type and age of the breakers. Older breakers often don't have a convenient way of installing a lock-off device and are you refering to residential or industrial.
Posted By: e57 Re: Breaker Lockouts - 01/21/06 08:09 PM
Not really... $35 bucks is pretty low.... for a small kit. (Lock-out, lock and tags) But lock-outs by themselves should run between $6-12.
Posted By: JBD Re: Breaker Lockouts - 01/21/06 08:12 PM
Do you mean a mechanism that you can attach a large padlock too for LOTO, or one with a simple screw or latch to prevent accidental operation? For tue LOTO the device must be "permanently affixed" to the breaker.

Single pole devices are usually inexpensive. Multi-pole and industrial breakers are usually more expensive. Universal ones often aren't.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Breaker Lockouts - 01/21/06 08:36 PM
John,
The actual devices themselves are called lock dogs, that attach to the breaker toggle.
If that's any help.
Grainger may have something in that line.
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Breaker Lockouts - 01/21/06 09:15 PM
Mike,
The actual devices themselves are called lock dogs, that attach to the breaker toggle.
While the worker can use that item for the required lockout, that type of device cannont be used where the code requires the breaker to be capable of being locked out.
Don
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Breaker Lockouts - 01/21/06 09:41 PM
Don,
I was thinking something along the lines of a device like this:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Breaker Lockouts - 01/21/06 10:56 PM
Breaker lock-outs are certainly useful; I have several types. There is no one type that works on all breakers, and some breakers will not accept any of the devices I've seen.
In addition, there are devices for locking switches, plugging fuse holders, covering plugs, etc. I'd stay away from the kits, and buy them as you use them.

I'd also stay away from padlocks; a zip-tie and a tag seem perfectly adequate to me- and eliminates creating another hazard by leaving the door ajar!
Posted By: RobbieD Re: Breaker Lockouts - 01/21/06 11:03 PM
I have some lockout devices from Panduit. They sell the lockouts,padlocks,hasps,and tags.They sell individual items or full kits for different kinds of breakers.
www.panduit.com
Posted By: RobbieD Re: Breaker Lockouts - 01/21/06 11:08 PM
http://www.panduit.com/products/browse.asp?classid=1034
Posted By: Fred Re: Breaker Lockouts - 01/21/06 11:16 PM
The one in Trumpy's picture looks like the ones I have that are made by Brady. They work okay for locking out a circuit temorarily to service it but, like any lock, they only deter lazy people. I've had folks cut these off with sidecuts before. In a workshop for mentally handicapped I used to do service for I had a 90 lb. "resident" break one of these off with his bare hand. It cost me a good set of Kleins, but fortunately nothing else.

[This message has been edited by Fred (edited 01-21-2006).]
Posted By: BigJohn Re: Breaker Lockouts - 01/21/06 11:22 PM
What I was looking for is some personal preference regarding the lockouts or "lock-dogs".

For example, Panduit makes some solid looking lock-dogs that can quickly get pricey. Bradey makes some cheaper ones that look like they would be much more prone to break. Prinzing makes some cheap lock-dogs, but I've heard tell they work on so few styles of breakers so as to be almost useless.

Does anyone actually own a specific brand that they know works well?

Renosteinke, you mentioned you have a few different types. Do you have a preference?

RobbieD, how well do the Panduit devices actually work?

Most equipment I work with is new Square-D QO and Homeline. But hopefully I'll get into some service work where I could run into just about any style breaker out there.

Thanks for the responses so far.

-John
Posted By: JBD Re: Breaker Lockouts - 01/21/06 11:41 PM
For me, it's the proper tool for the proper job. Other than the one shown by Trumpy, I have never seen a universal one that I thought was worth the money.

I like the Square D QOHPL at $6.30 list it is inexpensive enough to have several in your tool kit. http://ecatalog.squared.com/fulldetail.cfm?partnumber=QOHPL
Posted By: e57 Re: Breaker Lockouts - 01/22/06 01:15 AM
Oh what happened to the old days were you just shut off the breaker, open the panel, pull the wire out of it and stuck a wire nut on it? Close panel of course...
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Breaker Lockouts - 01/22/06 02:00 AM
Mike,
Yes, that works for a lockout, but it does not work for the breakers where the NEC requires that they be capable of being locked out.
Don
Posted By: RobbieD Re: Breaker Lockouts - 01/22/06 04:29 AM
BigJohn, I like them and I think that work fine. I don't think that Panduit makes a lockout for mini-breakers though. There are all kinds of lockout devices out there. Get the measurements of the most common breakers that you work with and match them up to the correct lockout device. JBD's suggestion is good, maybe the best person to get the lockout device is from the manufacturer of the breaker. At least it will fit perfectly then. As for me I like red ones because they stand out and say "Someone is working on this" To each his own though.
Posted By: BigJohn Re: Breaker Lockouts - 01/22/06 04:43 PM
e57,

A) I ain't old enough to remember those days.
B) I got tons of wire nuts, I want an excuse to buy some new tools. [Linked Image]

To any who are interested, here's a helpful LOTO device review.

-John
Posted By: e57 Re: Breaker Lockouts - 01/22/06 06:53 PM
"I ain't old enough to remember those days."

I aint either... [Linked Image]
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Breaker Lockouts - 01/22/06 09:51 PM
Most of mine are from Ideal, purchased at my local supply house. The type pictured is the most commonly used one.

I also have a few from Panduit.

One of my customers has large valve-wheel lockouts for putting on the door of the electric room when we have the panel open. Not a bad idea.

If there is ANY doubt in my mind as to the LOTO being honored, I will also take the additional step or removing the wires from the breaker.

If someone who should know better removes or defeats a lock-out, I'm off that job site until said person becomes unemployed.
Posted By: LearJet9 Re: Breaker Lockouts - 01/23/06 01:35 PM
Square D has the worst most user unfriendly breaker locks I have ever seen. You have to shut off the breaker below the one you want to install or remove the lock from.
Posted By: Active 1 Re: Breaker Lockouts - 01/23/06 02:09 PM
Here is an online source: http://ecommerce.directsafety.com/d...Hc0uK9trJZZty--UZII/HAHTpage/HS_home#702

(Click on left side catolog)
The kits seem expencive but the individule parts are better priced. Single pole locks for $3.

Tom
© ECN Electrical Forums