ECN Forum
Posted By: bigrockk Foot control - 12/23/05 04:01 PM
Hello all and Merry Christmas!!

I have a question that was asked of me by a guy I work with (A Millwright). I told him I would post it here and get back to him with any ideas that came up.

He is building a small machine and wants to use an electric drill motor for the drive power. He wants to know if there is a foot control available for a reasonable price that will allow speed control and forward and reverse.
Anybody know of a readily available foot control that would be suitable for this?
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Foot control - 12/23/05 04:07 PM
Well...sewing machine pedals can work for speed control. Don't know about forward and reverse, however.
Posted By: Amazingmg Re: Foot control - 12/23/05 04:51 PM
Try Mcmaster Carr.

I went to their site and did a search on "foot switch". Lots of choices.

I saw one (under light duty, die-cast zinc) that was two pedals interlocked so that only one switch could be closed at a time. Sounds like it would work.
http://www.mcmaster.com/

Not sure about the speed control, hmmm.

[This message has been edited by Amazingmg (edited 12-23-2005).]
Posted By: Amazingmg Re: Foot control - 12/23/05 05:25 PM
I was messing around on the McMaster-Carr site (they have some neat stuff) and it looks like they do have a Heavy Duty Variable Foot Switch also.
Posted By: bigrockk Re: Foot control - 12/24/05 12:55 AM
Thanks for the replys,
I think the Variable foot switch will work.
If it doesn't have forward and reverse I will suggest that he mount a spdt switch to do the reversing. As long as the operation doesn't have to be totally hands free that should work for him.
Thanks again
© ECN Electrical Forums